Three CCFA associate dean candidates to be interviewed

Three on-campus interviews are scheduled for Associate Dean of College of Communication and Fine Arts.

The three finalists are Timothy Farrell, chair of the department of music and performing arts at the University of Nebraska at Kearney; Jeffery Gentry, head of the department of communications at Rogers State University; and Troy Richards, chair of the department of art and design at the University of Delaware.

Farrell will have an open forum from 3:10 to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26. Gentry will have an open forum from 3:10 to 4 p.m. on Thursday, April 28. Richards will have an open forum from 3:10 to 4 p.m. on Monday, May 2. All of the interviews will take place in Park Library 337.

An open position for Associate Dean of College of Communication of Fine Arts was posted on Feb. 19.

Review of applications began March 15. It is anticipated that the candidate will be hired by May 1 with a start date of Aug. 1, said the Associate Dean of Science and Engineering, Jane Matty.

The goal of the search is to find a permanent replacement for the Interim Associate Dean of College of Communication and Fine Arts, Lesley Withers, Matty said. This year will be Withers' second year serving as associate dean.

"I'm looking for someone who will help advance (the College of Communication and Fine Arts) strategic initiatives and help us strengthen and guide our academic programs as well as help us make connections and partnerships across the state," said Janet Hethorn, Dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts.

The search committee for the associate dean position consists of School of Broadcast and Cinematic Arts faculty member Will Anderson, School of Music faculty member Linda Binkley, Chairperson of Art and Design Larry Burditt, Portage senior Alex Cabala, journalism faculty member Johnny Sparks, Communication and Dramatic Arts faculty member Jill Taft-Kaufman, and is being headed by the Associate Dean of Science and Engineering, Jane Matty.

Applicants were able to apply internally and externally, meaning CMU employees could apply for the position, Matty said.

"It's an important position and I'm happy we get to do a search for it," Hethorn said. "We’ll hopefully have someone in place in August."

According to the job posting, the preferred credentials of applicants include experience with collaborative and innovative program development across academic colleges and the creation and nurturing of external partnerships.

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →