Late 3-point shot ends men's basketball's MAC Tournament hopes

CMU falls in the first round of the MAC Tournament for the first time in two seasons

CLEVELAND — With 13 seconds remaining in the game, Bowling Green freshman guard Antwon Lillard sank a 3-point shot to give the Falcons a 60-59 lead over CMU.

With it, he sank the Central Michigan men's basketball team's hopes for a Mid-American Conference title run.

Lillard's 3-pointer gave BGSU its first lead of the second half for the Falcons as No. 12 BGSU ended No. 4 CMU's MAC Tournament chances, 62-59.

(READ: COLUMN: Despite efforts, goals fall out of reach for CMU seniors)

CMU ends its regular and MAC Tournament season 17-15 record (10-8 in MAC regular season play).

"I'm very proud of my team as a whole and especially the seniors that have given so much," said Head Coach Keno Davis. "(Senior guard Chris Fowler and senior forward John Simons) are going to be remembered for a long time at CMU about what they were able to accomplish on the court."

The Chippewas, who finished as MAC Tournament runner-ups a season ago, fell in their first game in the MAC Tournament for the first time since 2014.

CMU led 53-48 with 5:26 left before a layup from BGSU freshman forward Damajeo Wiggins and a jumper from senior forward Spencer Parker cut the deficit to one.

From 3:50 until 3:27, sophomore forward DaRohn Scott was 1-of-4 from the free-throw line to extend the lead to two. With 3:13 left, Scott fouled out of the game.

CMU went ahead 56-52 after single free throws from junior guard Braylon Rayson and senior guard Rayshawn Simmons, but Lillard hit a three to make it a one-point game with 1:37 left.

Senior forward John Simons extended the lead to three with a layup with 42 seconds to go. Thirteen seconds later, Lillard scored on a tip in, bringing BGSU within one point, 58-57.

After Simmons hit another free throw, Lillard, a Cleveland native, hit the game-winner at the other end to send the Falcons to the semifinals against No. 1 Akron.

"I always dream about hitting great shots like this," Lillard said. "Who wouldn't as a basketball player? Especially in my hometown. It was a big shot, I was excited, but I knew the game wasn't over."

BGSU hit two free throws on the other end to extend its lead to three. CMU senior guard Chris Fowler turned the ball over on a deep pass on the final inbound play.

Davis gave credit to Bowling Green for making the big play to "turn (CMU) over at the right time."

"Sometimes it just comes down to making plays, and you've got to tip your hat to them for being able to come up with some big ones," Davis said.

Fowler finished the game with a team-high 16 points in 39 minutes of play, while Rayson added 13 points.

CMU defeated BGSU twice this season. Rayson scored 27 points in the first contest and Fowler scored 27 in the second. Falcon Head Coach Michael Huger took notice and made adjustments.

"(Rayson and Fowler) are the two that destroyed us the first two games," Huger said. "We went over ball screens, we trapped ball screens, we pressed a little bit more to take some time off the clock, so we made several adjustments to what they do."

Simons totaled eight points and tied a career high with 16 rebounds in 38 minutes of action.

"I think it's not going to sink in just now for a while after something like this, but I think when we look back at it, we'll be able to look back at all the great friends that we were able to make between our teammates," Simons said. "I know that especially us seniors will be close for the rest of our lives."

Lillard led the Falcons with 26 points, while Wiggins added 10. The Falcons, who trailed 31-25 at halftime, shot 70 percent from the field in the second half.

"Missing layups, missing shots, that's all part of the basketball game but at the end of the day, if there's still time left on the clock, the game isn't over and we got a good team to push and fight, and fight, fight, fight until that clock says zero," Lillard said. "And that's what we did tonight."

CMU shot 41 percent for the game and was 4-of-20 from 3-point range, including 0-of-5 from Simons and redshirt sophomore guard Josh Kozinski.

Davis said he will call postseason tournaments to see where his team's standing is.

"This is such a special group that we have been able to put together," Davis said. "We're hopeful in talking with the postseason tournaments, I know that this group would like to not have this be our last memory."

CMU reached the National Invitation Tournament last season, falling against Louisiana Tech in the opening round. Davis said he wants to have a postseason game at McGuirk Arena.

"The community hasn't had that opportunity to come and watch a postseason game in our history," Davis said. "I think if we were so fortunate, I think that would be a really good positive for our younger players."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →