Who's Left?: A look at possible men's basketball opponents in MAC Tournament

2016_112_mbball_by003
Binge Yan | Staff Photographer CMU Basketball team against Akron Basketball in McGuirk Arena on Jan. 12.​

The Central Michigan men's basketball team is one of eight teams remaining in the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

No. 4-seeded CMU will play No. 12 Bowling Green at approximately 2:30 p.m. Thursday at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. No. 1 Akron will play No. 8 Eastern Michigan at noon. On the other side of the bracket, No. 3 Buffalo will battle No. 11 Miami (Ohio) and No. 2 Ohio will play No. 7 Northern Illinois.

The semifinal games will be played back-to-back on Friday with the first contest set for 6:30 p.m. The championship game will be played at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

Here is a look at the remaining seven teams CMU will and could possibly face:

No. 1 Akron Zips

2015-16 Record: 24-7 (13-5 MAC)

Coach: Keith Dambrot

Top Player: Isaiah Johnson (13.1 points per game, 7.1 rebounds per game)

This Season vs. CMU: 1-1

Outlook: The Zips are the favorites to win the MAC Tournament under former CMU Head Coach Keith Dambrot. Center Isaiah Johnson was named to the All-MAC First Team, while forward Reggie McAdams was named to the All-MAC Second Team and guard Antino Jackson was named an Honorable Mention. CMU would not have to play Akron unless both teams reach the championship game on Saturday night. 

No. 2 Ohio Bobcats

2015-16 Record: 20-10 (11-7 MAC)

Coach: Saul Phillips

Top Player: Antonio Campbell (17.5 points per game, 10 rebounds per game)

This Season vs. CMU: 0-1

Outlook: The Bobcats feature four players who average double figures, including Antonio Campbell. The junior forward averages a double-double for the Bobcats. Ohio led the MAC in scoring offense with 78.5 points per game and also was top in the conference in free-throw percentage and field-goal percentage. CMU ousted the Bobcats 72-49 at McGuirk Arena on Jan. 23 behind 14 point a piece from junior guard Braylon Rayson and sophomore forward Luke Meyer.

No. 3 Buffalo Bulls

2015-16 Record: 17-14 (10-8 MAC)

Coach: Nate Oats

Top Player: Lamonte Bearden (13.6 points per game, 103 assists)

This Season vs. CMU: 1-0

Outlook: The Bulls won the 2014-15 MAC Tournament with Bobby Hurley at the helm and sealed a bid in the NCAA Tournament behind 2014-15 Player of the Year Justin Moss, who edged out CMU guard Chris Fowler for the award. Moss has since been dismissed from the program, but the Bulls still top the Chippewas in terms of seeding. CMU is 2-2 against UB in its last four meetings. The Bulls have four players who average double figures and a first-year head coach in Oats. UB won the season’s only meeting — a 74-61 CMU defeat in which Rayson missed to attend his grandmother’s funeral.

No. 7 Northern Illinois

2015-16 Record: 21-11 (9-9 MAC)

Coach: Mark Montgomery

Top Player: Marin Maric (12.3 points per game, 38 blocks)

This Season vs. CMU: 1-1

Outlook: The Huskies started their season 7-0 and won 14 of their first 16 games. NIU lost only two games in nonconference play before finishing .500 in its MAC schedule. Marin Maric of Croatia leads a pack of four Huskies in double figures. NIU is coached by Mark Montgomery, a former assistant coach to Tom Izzo at Michigan State. CMU lost the first matchup 75-70 in DeKalb, Illinois, before winning 76-64 at home on Feb. 23. 

No. 8 Eastern Michigan Eagles

2015-16 Record: 18-14 (9-9 MAC)

Coach: Rob Murphy

Top Player: James Thompson IV (14.8 points per game, 10.6 rebounds per game)

This Season vs. CMU: 2-0

Outlook: EMU did not win double-digit games in its MAC slate, but handed the Chippewas two losses this season. James Thompson IV is averaging a double-double in his freshman season and was named to the MAC All-Freshman Team and All-MAC Second Team. Raven Lee also averages 14.8 points per game. The Eagles’ zone defense, which is comparable in style to that of Syracuse's, has limited CMU to 136 points in two games this season. EMU scored 99 points in the MAC opener against CMU. 

No. 11 Miami (Ohio) RedHawks

2015-16 Record: 13-19 (6-12 MAC)

Coach: John Cooper

Top Player: Eric Washington (13.9 points per game, 132 assists)

This Season vs. CMU: 0-1

Outlook: Guard Eric Washington anchors the RedHawks on offense. The All-MAC Honorable Mention is fourth in the conference in assists (4.6 per game) and fifth in steals (1.6 per game). Geovonie McKnight, a fellow All-MAC Honorable Mention, averages 13.2 points per game. CMU won 68-51 in Oxford, Ohio on Jan. 26 behind 21 points from senior Chris Fowler. The RedHawks upset No. 6 Ball State 49-47 in Muncie, Indiana in a MAC Tournament First-Round game on Monday. 

No. 12 Bowling Green Falcons

2015-16 Record: 15-17 (5-13)

Coach: Michael Huger

Top Player: Spencer Parker (14.4 points per game, 0.427 3-point field goal percentage)

This Season vs. CMU: 0-2

Outlook: The Falcons were 1-11 in their last 12 games before downing No. 5 Kent State 70-69 on Monday to advance to the MAC Tournament quarterfinals against CMU. Spencer Parker leads the team in scoring and earned an All-MAC Honorable Mention designation. Junior guards Zack Denny and Wes Alcegaire average 11 and 10.5 points, respectively, in 32 games played. The Falcons lost to CMU 79-67 at home on Jan. 9 before losing again at McGuirk Arena on Jan. 30, 77-65.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →