Building the Brand: Women’s basketball coach uses trust to create successful program

On April 17, 2007, Sue Guevara said she was happy to come back home.

Now, nearly nine years in the making, the head coach of Central Michigan women’s basketball team has continued to keep her vision of success in Mount Pleasant alive.

“I was grateful that I was named the head coach here at CMU because I’m a Michigander,” Guevara said. “I’ve always loved where Central is; it’s a good location. I loved the fact that the administration really wanted to have a good women’s basketball program.”

After spending three years as an assistant coach at Auburn University, Guevara returned to Michigan and inherited a program that was 63-107 in six seasons under former coach Eileen Kleinfelter.

Since Guevara stepped in, the Chippewas are 148-131, including four consecutive 20-win seasons (2010-2014) and CMU’s first Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship and NCAA Tournament berth in 2013.

The on-court press conference tradition

Another part of the culture Guevara established was giving speeches after every home game at McGuirk Arena.

Win or lose, Guevara grabs the microphone and speaks words of encouragement to the crowd. Although Guevara didn’t remember the exact game the ritual began, she does remember the context.

“I think we won a game we weren’t supposed to win,” Guevara said. “The crowd was really into it and coach (Kathy) McGee said, ‘Sue, we gotta thank the crowd.’ And I said, ‘That’s a great idea.’”

The players waved to the crowd and Guevara thanked the maroon and gold faithful for their support, even at a time where the Chippewas were still at the bottom of the league.

There was no 20-win season or MAC tournament run in 2007-08, but the foundation was laid for CMU women’s basketball's success. And now the Chippewas are reaping the benefits.

Recruiting the culture

Guevara has established a successful brand of women’s basketball in Mount Pleasant.

In order to create that successful basketball culture, Guevara had to find the right type of players.

In college sports, there are two ways to win: recruitment and development. Guevara has been able to do both at a consistent level, which has allowed her to be one of the top coaches in the conference.

The Saginaw native recruited talent such as Crystal Bradford, Niki DiGuilio, Taylor Johnson, Presley Hudson, Reyna Frost and Tinara Moore, in addition to other talented players.

Guevara said the biggest asset in recruiting numerous quality players is the foundation she has set at CMU.

“It’s a great community,” she said. “It’s a great school; people care about you here. With our team, we’re selling a certain kind of basketball I think players like and want to be a part of.”

Guevara turned Bradford into the MAC Player of the Year and one of two MAC players to be selected into the WNBA Draft — the only one to go in the first round.

DiGuilio left CMU as the all-time leader in made 3-pointers, while Johnson became the first player ever to be named MAC Sixth Player of the Year twice (2011, 2014).

This year, sophomore Moore has averaged a double-double during conference play, while freshman Hudson is the team’s leading scorer and fellow freshman Frost is a top-five rebounder in the conference.

Under Guevara’s guidance, the Chippewas clinched a first-round bye in the MAC Tournament.

High school coaches around the Midwest know what they’re getting when they send a player to play for Guevara.

“Coaches know we take care of our kids,” Guevara said. “They’re not just basketball players, they’re young women. It’s really important to me and my staff that we help (players) get through the tough times so that when they leave, they’re really great women.”

When selecting the type of player she wants, Guevara said she puts into account grades, absences and even what players are like during warmups for high school games.

“We’re looking for good people,” Guevara said. “Obviously you would really like to see them all be able to catch, shoot, score and rebound, but I think I have a really good staff and we know how to develop players.”

Player perspective

Senior Chelsea Lynn has seen first hand how Guevara has been able to turn the program around and keep it at a competitive level.

“She coaches players the way they need to be coached,” Lynn said. “All players can’t be coached the same. Some people need to be talked at differently, so she just adapted to the players and we adapted to her and that’s how she has the championship culture that she has now.”

While at some universities, coaches tend to sell players on false dreams, Guevara’s truthful and family-style approach made Lynn want to be a Chippewa.

“The coaching staff is a family coaching staff,” Lynn said. “It’s not like you have to hide anything from them. They know what they need to know about you. Everything works out, you have to come to her real and she’ll answer you honestly.”

For Moore, that family style and winning culture played a huge role in her decision to attend CMU.

“It was mainly the coaches,” Moore said. “They were very personal, and other coaches (from other schools) didn’t get to know you personally. It felt like home.”

Watching the Chippewas win numerous games and seeing the talent Guevara had assembled during her time at CMU also caught Frost’s eye during the recruiting process.

“I saw what a great program (Guevara) built here and how she was able to recruit so many good players,” Frost said. “I knew that they could make me into the player (I wanted) and I could reach my full potential.”