Atlantic Sun Conference Preview: Lacrosse plays conference runner up Detroit in A-Sun opener

While most Central Michigan athletic teams play in the Mid-American Conference, one program is playing out of the MAC.

The Central Michigan lacrosse team, part of the nine-member Atlantic Sun Conference, begins conference play on Wednesday. Lacrosse is the only CMU athletic program that is not a member of the MAC since the conference does not sponsor lacrosse.

CMU is predicted to finish eighth in the A-Sun, according to the preseason coaches poll. The Chippewas were ranked above Howard.

“(The A-Sun) will allow us to have great challenges and great competition,” said Head Coach Sara Tisdale. “We respect our opponents in the Atlantic Sun greatly. We expect to have great success in the Atlantic Sun.”

CMU is the only new addition to the A-Sun this season. 

“It's kind of neat because it gives people something new to learn about and talk about,” Tisdale said. “I think people are more interested in it and it kind of gives us that extra little niche. We would love to play in the MAC, but I really think the uniqueness of the sport paired with the uniqueness of the A-Sun conference is getting a lot of people’s attention.”

Tisdale added Kent State will be starting a lacrosse program, making it the second MAC school to play lacrosse. She said she does not envision switching conferences.

The Chippewas are 3-4 with nine games to play, including eight against A-Sun opponents.

“We do expect to compete for the Atlantic Sun Championship and hopeful in the very near future we’re that team that’s contending for that championship and heading into the NCAA Tournament,” Tisdale said. “I think that is something we can accomplish.”

The A-Sun Championships are May 4-8 at Kennesaw State in Georgia. Only the top six teams advance to the tournament.

“We are a first-year program, but we can play with all the other teams that have been around longer than us,” said freshman midfielder Logan Halvorson.

Fellow freshman midfielder Natalie Bloniarz echoed her teammate. She said she wants to leave a “responsible, powerful” team.

“There will be some defeats and there will be some wins but we need to keep our heads up no matter what,” Bloniarz said.

Freshman attacker Kaitlin Kimble said the ASC is an “obtainable conference to be in.”

“We have worked hard so far to not just look like freshmen out there on the field playing," Kimble said. "I really think we’ll be able to do something inside our conference and be able to get into the tournament."

Tisdale will lead a roster of 25 freshmen and one sophomore against eight A-Sun opponents.

Conference Schedule

@ Detroit — 4 p.m., March 30

2016 Record: 4-4

2015 Record: 10-8 (5-2 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Lost to Jacksonville in A-Sun Championship

Coach: Laura Manness (5th season, 32-48)

2016 A-Sun Preseason Poll: 3rd

@ Furman — 6 p.m., April 8

2016 Record: 5-4

2015 Record: 10-7 (4-3 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Lost to Jacksonville in A-Sun Semifinal

Coach: Rachel Witten (3rd season, 15-10)

2016 Preseason Poll: 4th

vs. Jacksonville — 6 p.m., April 15

2016 Record: 5-4

2015 Record: 17-3 (7-0 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Won A-Sun Championship

Coach: Mindy McCord (7th season, 86-39)

2016 Preseason Poll: 1st

vs. Stetson — Noon, April 17

2016 Record: 4-5

2015 Record: 4-13 (2-5 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Lost to Detroit in A-Sun Quarterfinal

Coach: Christy Leach (1st season, 4-5 Record)

2016 Preseason Poll: 5th

@ Kennesaw State — 5 p.m., April 22

2016 Record: 2-6

2015 Record: 2-5 (5-13 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Lost to Furman in ASC Quarterfinal

Coach: Kristina Llanes (4th season, 9-41)

2016 Preseason Poll: 6th

@ Mercer — 1 p.m., April 24

2016 Record: 3-6

2015 Record: 5-9 (2-5 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Missed ASC Tournament

Coach: Samantha Eustace (1st season, 3-6)

2016 Preseason Poll: 7th

vs. Howard — 6 p.m., April 29

2016 Record: 0-6

2015 Record: 0-10 (0-7 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Missed A-Sun Tournament

Coach: Karli Brentlinger (1st season, 0-6)

2016 Preseason Poll: 9th

vs. Old Dominion — Noon, May 1

2016 Record: 7-2

2015 Record: 13-5 (6-1 A-Sun)

2015 Result: Lost to Detroit in A-Sun Semifinal

Coach: Heather Holt (5th season, 31-46)

2016 Preseason Poll: 2nd

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →