Lyre Games spaghetti dinners raise $2,005 to combat domestic violence

Natalia McCarthy's life perspective changed after working with domestic abuse survivors at the Bay City Women's Center. 

Alphi Chi Omega sorority hosted all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinners Tuesday and Wednesday to raise money and awareness to combat domestic violence and fund child and family enrichment services.

The originally bi-annual spaghetti dinner is now part of the week-long philanthropy event, The Lyre Games. The dinners raised a total of $2,005.

“We gave them a spa day and painted their nails and hung out with them and their kids,” the Grand Rapids freshman said. “They’re so strong and fighting against it. It’s not something many people understand unless they see the direct effect of it.”

All proceeds will be donated to the local Women's Aid Shelter, and Children and Family Enrichment Council.

Tuesday also featured ‘Pie Alpha Chi’, where participants paid $1 to pie a sorority sister. 

“Our sorority is trying to come together to raise awareness and speak for those who may not be able to speak for themselves. Domestic violence can sometimes be a hush-hush issue,” said Livonia senior Mallory Church.

The Lyre Games includes Greek Life teams and other student organization teams winning points for their participation throughout the week. Teams were awarded one point per member attending the spaghetti dinner.

The fraternity with the highest amount of points will receive $200 toward their philanthropy of choice. 

Other organizations will receive $100 toward their philanthropy of choice or their organization.

“Greek Life is special because everyone is really supportive,” said Lambertville freshman Madyson Davis. “We love our philanthropy and they know how much we care, so they’re always supportive. We lean on each other.”