'Selma' director, bone growth doctor to speak for university Speaker Series

logo

As a part of Central Michigan University's Speaker Series, director Ava DuVernay and Dr. Nina Tandon will be coming to campus to speak in March on their life experiences.

Both events are free and will be held in Plachta Auditorium.

DuVernay is the director of the Martin Luther King Jr. historical drama "Selma" and will speak at 6:30 p.m. on March 19. DuVernay has done work as a writer, producer, director and independent film distributor. 

In 2010 she founded ARRAY, an independent film distribution and resource collective which hopes to broaden the reach of films made by women and people of color globally.

DuVernay has earned a Sundance Film Festival Best Director Award for her dramatic feature "Middle of Nowhere," and directed a 2008 hip-hop documentary "This is the Life." The event is co-sponsored by both Residence Life and the Office for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion.

Tandon, the CEO and co-founder of EpiBone, will speak at 7:30 p.m. on March 21. 

EpiBone is the first organization which grows human bones for skeletal reconstruction. Tandon has worked with both children who have facial defects and people who have experienced head trauma. She has also worked with Columbia University's laboratory for stem cells and tissue engineering as a researcher.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →