Editorial: American Sign Language should meet foreign language requirement

If you did not know that the above signs spell out “y,” “e,” and “s,” you are an example of why we support a change in CMU’s language curriculum. Last month, the Academic Senate passed a resolution supporting American Sign Language for Central Michigan University’s two-year put forth by CMU’s Student Government Association. As it stands, CMU students must complete four credit hours within a foreign language in order to graduate. 

The resolution doesn’t require immediate change, but rather represents a vote of confidence for ASL.  

We believe this change in the foreign language requirement at CMU should take place soon. 

Putting together a degree is a delicate and complicated process. It can be frustrating jumping through the various academic hoops CMU decision makers put in place. 

This change would help some students’ diversify their skill sets in a unique way. 

Chippewas embrace inclusiveness and have a clear understanding of how to communicate with people who are disabled that they come in contact with after graduation. 

Proficiency in ASL is a useful skill for people who are not deaf and a necessary one for people who are.  

We commend CMU’s Academic Senate on supporting ASL and hope to see a change made to CMU’s curriculum soon.