Baseball splits doubleheader, drops series to Northern Illinois

2_baseball
Greg Cornwell | Staff Photographer Sophomore pitcher Nick Deeg pitches to an Ohio batter Friday at Theunissen Stadium. The Chippewas dropped their home opener against the Bobcats, 6-4.

After the offenses battled it out in the first game of the doubleheader, there was a pitcher's duel between the Central Michigan and Northern Illinois baseball teams in game two.

Donovin Sims pitched 9 1/3 innings for NIU in the second game of the tilt, while junior southpaw Nick Deeg hurled nine innings for CMU. The Chippewas fell 3-2 in 10 innings to fall to 7-25 (2-4 in the Mid-American Conference).

CMU won the first game of the doubleheader, 7-6. The Chippewas lost on Friday to NIU in the opener.

“(We were) probably a little more frustrated in that second game," said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. "We were right there to win a doubleheader today and it’s just tough because you get a split today and you’re probably just a fraction away from winning that thing.”

CMU tied the game at 2-2 in the fourth inning and it remained that way until the 10th inning. Jaksa replaced Deeg with sophomore right-handed pitcher Colton Bradley, who had not appeared in a game since a 4-1 loss to Michigan State on March 23.

The Huskies loaded the bases with two outs in the bottom of the 10th inning when Bradley threw a wild pitch. NIU pinch runner Alex Smith scored to give the Huskies their fifth MAC win.

Jaksa said he was happy with Deeg, who surrendered three hits and two runs in nine innings.

“It was the Nick Deeg of old," Jaksa said. "That’s the Nick Deeg we know and that’s the Nick Deeg that does a great job for us.”

Deeg has a 1-6 record this season with a 6.27 ERA. Jaska saw some positives from his eight-game winner a season ago.

“Today was a step in the right direction," Jaska said. "Hopefully he’ll build off of that next week.”

The Chippewas took a 1-0 lead in the third inning when a RBI double by sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry scored senior outfielder Ryan Heeke.

After the Huskies scored two runs in the bottom half of the third inning, CMU answered in the top of the fourth. Freshman infielder Jason Sullivan doubled and a sliding catch by NIU's Tony Hook in foul territory allowed Sullivan to cross home plate later in the inning.

The CMU offense failed to score a run the rest of the game against Sims.

“At the end of the game, it was a big matchup between those (Deeg and Sims)," Jaska said. "That’s how it evolves. It’s low scoring. It’s competitive.”

McKinstry led CMU on offense, going 2-for-4. Junior catcher Robert Greenman went 2-for-3.

Hook led NIU (9-22, 5-4 MAC) with three hits, a run scored, RBI and walk.

“I thought Nick threw a great game and put us in a position to win that thing," Jaksa said. "We’ve just got to be a little bit better."

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →