Seven errors doom baseball team against Ball State

Errors and three hit batters plague CMU in 10-7 loss against the leader of the MAC West

Following a 7-3 win against the first-place team in the Mid-American Conference West division on Friday, the momentum for the rest of the weekend was in favor of the Chippewas. However, on Saturday's game against Ball State, errors stunted that momentum. 

The Central Michigan baseball team lost Saturday at Theunissen Stadium to the Cardinals 10-7.

"We had all the momentum yesterday, going into today's game," said Head Coach Steve Jaksa. "We gave it back to them because we didn't do a good enough job I guess to field the ball the way they know how. That got in the way today."

The Chippewas recorded seven errors in the loss. Ball State finished with two. CMU is 3-6 in the MAC and 8-28 overall.

Right handed junior reliever Jordan Grosjean, now 1-2 on the year, was credited for the loss. Grosjean allowed four runs. 

Starter Nick Deeg threw for 5 1/3 innings recording five hits, two earned runs, and one strikeout. The two combined for a total of three hit batters on the day — two of which came consecutively for Grosjean.

"For some reason we went out there and hit guys," Jaska said. "That is frustrating when you watch that happen. We did wing the bats well enough to win, we did work hard enough at the plate to win.

CMU had 10 hits on the day, a hit more than Ball State. Sophomore Daniel Jipping went 4-for-5 with two RBIs coming off of doubles. 

Central Michigan is back at Theunissen Stadium tomorrow at 1:05 p.m. to finish off the three-game weekend series against Ball State.