Rapid Reaction: WMU 7, CMU 2

In-state rival Western Michigan won the first game of today’s softball doubleheader in dominating fashion. CMU scored two runs off Bronco pitcher Allyson Kus, falling 7-2.

The Chippewas were held to four hits while striking out six times against Kus.

Trouble started in the third inning when the Chippewas got into a jam. With two outs and a runner on third, freshman Rachel Vieria dropped a pop-up in foul territory to allow WMU’s inning to continue.

On the next pitch, senior Rachel Gamboa delivered an RBI double to tie the score.

Junior Chelsea Cichocki followed with an RBI double of her own to give Western Michigan a 2-1 lead.

CMU’s troubles continued in the fourth inning, allowing five runners to cross the plate.

Junior Erin Binkowski took the first pitch of the inning over the left field fence for her 10th home run on the season. After Western Michigan’s fifth hit, junior Rachael Knapp was pulled after 3 1/3 innings pitched.

Knapp finished the contest allowing five hits on four runs with four strikeouts. Her record sits at 7-10 on the season.

Sophomore Laura Vaccaro entered the game in relief, but couldn’t escape the inning until after giving up four runs on three doubles and an error.

Gamboa led the Broncos’ scoring charge with two doubles and three RBIs, Binkowski finished with an RBI on two hits and sophomore Aspen Williams reached base in all three of her plate appearances.

Vaccaro finished the game on the mound for CMU, surrendering three runs on six hits in 3 2/3 innings. She also had one strikeout.

CMU falls to 14-18 (1-5-1 MAC) while WMU improves to 14-16 (5-2 MAC).

The second game of today’s doubleheader is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. at Margo Jonker Stadium.