Men's basketball lands Missouri junior college transfer Williams

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound forward is eligible to play in 2016-17

For the second time in three years, the Central Michigan men's basketball team has landed a player from Moberly Area Community College in Missouri.

Head Coach Keno Davis announced Tuesday the signing of forward Cecil Williams. He will be eligible to play in the 2016-17 season and will have two years of eligibility remaining. 

Williams is the second player from Moberly to sign with CMU after graduated guard Rayshawn Simmons, who committed to the Chippewas in March 2013.

“Cecil has many of the same attributes as Rayshawn Simmons,” Davis told cmuchippewas.com. “The character and work ethic he possesses combined with his size and versatility should prepare him to make an immediate impact on the team.”

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound Williams averaged 7.8 points and 5.6 rebounds last season for Moberly. He averaged 13.5 points and seven rebounds in the NJCAA Tournament.

Before his time with the Greyhounds, Williams spent one year at IMG Academy in Florida. He averaged 10 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in high school.

Williams is the sixth member of Davis' 2016 recruiting class. He joins incoming freshmen guards Ellis Jefferson, Matty Smith and Kevin McKay, forward David DiLeo and center Innocent Nwoko.

The signing of Williams marks the second transfer who is eligible for the 2016 season. Guard Marcus Keene can play this season after sitting out during the 2015-16 season due to NCAA transfer rules. Keene averaged 15.6 points per game at Youngstown State during the 2014-15 season.

Simmons averaged 12.1 points per game in 2015-16, his final season at CMU. He is one of four Chippewas to graduate, including leading scorer Chris Fowler (16.5 points per game).

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →