Heavy snow forces tie following CMU softball's fifth-inning comeback

With the temperature and snow falling in Mt. Pleasant, the umpires decided to call Saturday’s series finale after the fifth inning, resulting in a tie — the first for CMU softball since 1998.

Central Michigan (14-17-1, 1-4-1 Mid-American Conference) trailed Akron (18-16-1, 2-3-1 MAC) 4-0 in the fifth inning and couldn’t get anything generated on offense. After a 30-minute weather delay, the team seemingly broke out of its slump.  

The comeback started after a lead-off double by freshman third baseman Rachel Viera. After an error by Akron shortstop Carley Childress, CMU had runners on first and second with senior shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer stepping to the plate.

Sexauer — who has four home runs in the last eight games — delivered an RBI double to cut the deficit to 4-3. After a sacrifice fly from senior first baseman Katelyn Renthschler moved Sexauer to third base, sophomore center fielder Sydney Heath singled to bring Sexauer home and tie the game.

“Before that fifth inning, we said ‘This is it.’ We have a lot of new players and (we were unsure) if they knew they rules and knew the game could be called after the fifth inning,” said Head Coach Margo Jonker. “I said to them ‘We don’t want the game to end, so let’s make sure it doesn’t.’”

Sophomore Laura Vaccaro (1-0, 4.77 ERA) started the game for CMU and pitched four innings. The Saline native had three strikeouts and gave up three runs on three hits. Errors by Sexauer and senior second baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure allowed the fourth run to score.

Junior Rachael Knapp (7-9, 3.14 EAR) came in for relief in the fifth inning and gave up two runs (one earned) on one hit.

Before the start of the sixth inning, the umpires called for another weather delay and try to clear the field. When both teams came back out, it was clear the field was too wet and not playable, forcing the umpires to call the game.

“It was a unique game. We’ve played in snow before, but never that many snow flurries," Jonker said. "I cant' remember the last time we tied, but it's been a very long time."

It's the sixth tie in program history for the Chippewas, first since 1998 and second since 1984.

The Chippewas and Zips were supposed to have a doubleheader on Saturday, but moved one game to Friday because of the forecasted weather conditions. CMU lost game one and won game two in Friday's doubleheader. Saturday's game was also bumped from 1 p.m. to 11 a.m. to try and beat the snow.

While CMU was able to rally and force a tie, Jonker wants the team to start games with the same intensity it showed late.

“We need to figure out how to be fired up and get that going from inning one,” Jonker said. “A tie is better than a loss, but certainly not as good as a win.”