Different study tactics chosen by students to prepare for exams

Studying preferences are different from student-to-student, but some professors and administrators have their own expectations about how often students should be studying for classes.

Monday, May 2 is the beginning of final exams at Central Michigan University. 

In order to be prepared for exams, President George Ross mentioned at the Feb. 18 Board of Trustees meeting throughout this semester, students should have studied three hours per class each week. 

Spanish professor Carolina Gutiérrez-Rivas said for her students, it is important they study material over a long period of time, otherwise it is likely none of the information will stick with them.   

"(Studying) a little bit everyday is best because you build up your memory," Gutiérrez-Rivas said. "If you learn something then review it again within a period of time, you will really memorize and internalize it. But if you learn it, forget about it, then in a year try to come back to it — forget it; you’re not gonna learn it."

Midland sophomore Josh Richey said the amount of time he spends on studying for exams depends on if they are cumulative.

"I spend the last week or two studying for finals," Richey said. "Probably like three to six hours a day.”

Grosspoint freshman Ian Sutherland said he spends a minimum of five hours studying a week.

"It depends on if there’s an exam or not," Sutherland said. "If there’s no exam, then I’m usually pretty good to go in my lecture halls. If there’s an exam, then I might study a little longer. I study between 5 to 12 hours, depending on the week.”

Grand Blanc freshman Jake Foster said he spends around six to seven hours every week studying. 

"I think my study patterns are really effective," Foster said. "I just look at (the material) my professors give me and I plan it out before I study. That way I know that what I’m studying isn’t wasting my time. And it’s always worked for me my whole life."

Bellaire freshman Ali Angelucci said she spends five to 10 hours studying a week, in part because she rewrites her notes for each of her classes. 

Even if students stick close to a strict study regiment, they are not necessarily exempt from pulling all-nighters. 

Angelucci and Foster said they have never had to pull an all-nighter. 

Richey said typically he does not pull all-nighters.

"If there's a physical assignment due, I wouldn't pull an all-nighter," Richiey said. "But if there's a paper due, I probably would."