Softball drops first game of conference tournament against Kent State

Kent State: 1 | Central Michigan: 0

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades — not Mid-American Conference Tournament play.

The eighth-seeded Central Michigan softball team was two runs away from upsetting the top-seeded Kent State Golden Flashes on Wednesday, but eventually fell 1-0 at Firestone Stadium in Akron, Ohio.

KSU's run came in the first inning after junior Maddy Grimm doubled down the left field line, scoring KSU senior Arika Roush.  

Each team recorded just four hits as Kent State starting pitcher Ronnie Ladines earned the shutout victory.

CMU junior pitcher Rachael Knapp took the loss.

The Chippewas play again tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. against Western Michigan. The MAC Tournament is a double elimination tournament.

Three CMU players were named to All-MAC honors on Tuesday.

Freshman right fielder Allison Curtis was named to the All-MAC First Team and All-Freshman Team.

Curtis led the Chippewas during the regular season with a .352 batting average, while accumulating 15 RBI and one home run.

Senior shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer and sophomore catcher Mason Kalina were named to the All-MAC second team.

Sexauer hit .336 with six home runs and 32 RBI, but was injured against Eastern Michigan on April 29 and did not play in game one of the tournament. She is not expected to compete again this season.

Kalina's bat came on during the final stretch of the season to finish with a .279 batting average, two home runs and 18 RBI.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →