Bonamego discusses CMU undrafted free agents with NFL opportunities, Frazier

National Football League teams are beginning summer workouts in preparation for the 2016 season. Several former Central Michigan football players are preparing for their first professional season, while others are fighting to earn a roster spot.

Two former Chippewas have already signed with the Detroit Lions.

Tight end Ben McCord and defensive end Louis Palmer have signed rookie free agent contracts with the in-state NFC North team. McCord signed shortly after the Lions announced that tight end Tim Wright suffered a torn ACL and would be out for the year. Palmer is a Detroit native and had 91 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles during his CMU career.

“I talked with Ben just before (the Lions) signed him,” said CMU Head Coach John Bonamego. “He was really excited. I’ve heard from Louis a couple times, a couple text messages. They’re in OTA’s right now, so those guys are pretty busy. It’s gonna be a busy month for them. I’m hoping to get down there within the next couple weeks to take in a practice and watch them.”

Bonamego said he “would like to believe” that his relationship with the Lions helped Palmer and McCord get to where they are. Bonamego was the special teams coordinator with the Lions from 2013-14 before taking the head coaching job at CMU in 2015.

Two former CMU offensive linemen, Nick Beamish and Ramadan Ahmeti, attended rookie minicamps with multiple teams. Beamish accepted an invitation to the Minnesota Viking’s and Chicago Bear’s rookie minicamps. Ahmeti visited with the Tennessee Titans.

“Both of them did very well,” Bonamego said. “I think they’re both in the holding pattern with those teams and maybe others. Hopefully they’ll get signed somewhere here in the near future. I think they’re both capable and worthy of that.”

Bonamego did not have any update on defensive end Blake Serpa, but did mention he was surprised no team has given him a look this far into the summer.

One former Chippewa, safety Kavon Frazier, was selected in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys.

“One of the areas where (Kavon) is going to have a big impact is special teams,” Bonamego said. “I got quite a few calls on Kavon and I was really comfortable recommending him in that role. That’s where he’s gonna start off. Hopefully that will lead to some playing time on defense.”

Along with Frazier playing special teams, Bonamego also acknowledged how difficult the transition is from college to the NFL.

“With any college player, transitioning to the NFL is a big jump,” Bonamego said. “They all have to understand they’re being evaluated every single day in everything that they do. For an undrafted player, it’s even more critical. A drafted player gets a little bit of slack from the standpoint that teams invested a draft pick in you and some signing bonus money. It’s an opportunity and they’ve got to make it.”

CMU football is 83 days away from kick off against Presbyterian at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on September 1.