Trial involving CMU football player Malik Fountain extends to fourth day

Despite being scheduled to last three days, the trial in a case against a Central Michigan University football player will enter its fourth day Thursday.

Sophomore linebacker Malik Fountain, of Chicago, was arrested April 7 for allegedly assaulting Saginaw residents Chylcie Lett and Mackenzie Maul at 1:17 a.m. Dec. 2 near the disc jockey table at Wayside Central in Mount Pleasant. Fountain was charged with one count of aggravated assault, two counts of assault and battery and one count of jostling.

Isabella County Trial Court Judge Eric Janes dismissed the jury around 4:40 p.m. Wednesday after hearing closing statements from Fountain's defense attorney Joe Barberi and Isabella County Assistant Prosecutor Lawrence King.

Janes asked the jury to be ready to reconvene no later than 8:30 a.m. Thursday for deliberation. 

Witnesses testify in trial against CMU student-athlete Malik Fountain

Mount Pleasant Police Department Det. Dave Sabuda, John Hunter, Fountain's mother and Fountain all testified Wednesday.

Fountain said he does not remember seeing either complainants Chylcie Lett or Mackenzie Maul on the night in question. According to his testimony, Fountain was standing next to former CMU wide receiver and 2015 CMU graduate Courtney Williams when he noticed Williams in a confrontation with the two women. Fountain said an Arab man, now known as Feras Alanki, threw a beer at Williams. Williams dodged the drink, which then hit Fountain.

Fountain said Williams threw two punches at Alanki before being held by other bar patrons. When Williams was subdued, Fountain shoved Alanki and the fight ended there.

Alanki then returned and chest bumped Fountain. Fountain grabbed the man, who stands about 5-foot-8 with a scrawny build, with his left hand. As Alanki began to swing, Fountain said he landed no more than five punches to Alanki's face and chest in self-defense. Alanki was then taken out of the bar by a Wayside Central bouncer.

Fountain said another man, who claimed to be Alanki's cousin, returned 30 minutes later to retrieve a gold chain Alanki lost during the fight. When Fountain told the man he did not know where the chain was, the man made a gun gesture, indicating he would shoot Fountain in the head. The man was also taken out by bouncers. Fountain said he remained in the bar until close.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →