Freshman pitcher Wolfram transfers to Davenport

Last month, three Chippewas were selected in the 2016 MLB Draft. It is still not clear whether the two selected, who were not seniors, sophomore shortstop Zach McKinstry and pitcher Nick Deeg, will return to school next fall.

One player that won't be returning is freshman pitcher Grant Wolfram.

Wolfram announced his transfer to Davenport University in Grand Rapids on Thursday.

"I met some good people and it was a good experience, just didn't seem like the right fit," Wolfram said to the Holland Sentinel. 

Central Michigan head coach Steve Jaksa said Wolfram came to him after the season and "expressed that he thought it would be in his best interest to go somewhere else." Jaksa doesn't know the specific reason for the transfer. 

"We like Grant. We thought he was going to develop fine here," Jaksa said. "Maybe a different environment was better for him for whatever those reasons may be. At that point, I gave him the option to do what he felt was best for him."

Wolfram will be joining a Davenport team that went 43-17 in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference. They finished second overall in the conference and owned a 25-6 conference record in 2016. They lost in the WHAC Tournament to Indiana Tech. 

"I am really excited," Wolfram said. "The facilities are amazing there with a good coaching staff. I am ready to play. Davenport has a really good program."

Wolfram was the ninth best prospect in the state of Michigan in high school. He was taken in the 2015 MLB Draft at pick 520, but opted to attend CMU. He also told the Holland Sentinel that his goal is to still get drafted, but admits that he needs to get better before that happens.

The Hamilton native started five games and appeared in eight in 2016. He finished with a 6.66 ERA and a record of 0-2.