MAC Media Day: Director of Officiating addresses player safety, new rule changes

maclogo

DETROIT — On Thursday, Mid-American Conference Director of Officiating Bill Carollo addressed questions about new rules changes, missed calls and player safety during the MAC Football Media Day at Ford Field.  

Carollo, who was an NFL referee for nearly 20 years before taking his current position, is also the head of officiating for the Big Ten and Missouri Valley conferences. 

Rule changes

One of then most notable rule changes coming to the MAC this fall is referees will now be able to collaborate with replay officials on making a call. Before, referees had no input on replays and the determination of the call solely relied on the officials.  

In the Pacific-12, Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference, a separate system will be tested. Replays will be viewed by a group of five officials at a ‘separate, secure location’, and they will make the call. If this proves effective, the possibility of the MAC adapting this policy for the long-term could increase.

Another change in the rulebook will affect offensive lineman. In the MAC, lineman can now move up to three yards downfield during a passing play, one yard further than the previous rule allowed. 

A rule that has been heavily scrutinized is targeting. Distinguishing between what is considered targeting and what is a clean hit can be difficult, but Carollo stressed the importance of players learning to properly tackle to make for less of a slippery slope.

“We’re going to be tough on players. You've got to wrap up and keep your head up,” he said. “We have to coach these kids differently. You can’t fly through the air like a missile.”

In 2015, only certain aspects of targeting — like leading with the crown of the helmet — could be reviewed. 

Now all aspects can be reviewed. Carollo said six out of 18 targeting calls in MAC play last season were overturned and this change could increase that even more.

Another rule change being discussed is removing kickoffs. New tests are being done to examine whether kickoffs are too dangerous and should be eliminated.

The Ivy League will move kick-offs up to the 40-yard line this season to see if it decreases injuries.

“We need the doctors and medical staff the Ivy League can provide to collect data and compare it to the past,” Carollo said. “Are we getting more injuries on these types of plays? If we are, it’s going to get a lot of attention and kickoffs could be removed, but that wouldn’t be for a few years.”

Controversial calls

Against Toledo on Nov. 10 last season, an odd situation occurred where referees issued a warning to CMU cheerleaders and band members for essentially being too loud while the Rockets were on offense. The referee reportedly mistook the cheers for instruments and stopped play.

“I think we just got a little confused on the rules and applied it to the cheerleaders in the end zone,” Carollo said. “It was an improper mechanic by our officials.”

Carollo said the situation was handled internally and the best way to prevent future incidents will be better use of communication between officials.

Player safety

Carollo said most of the rule changes can be attributed to keeping student-athletes safe. With concussions becoming more common among current and former players, the NCAA wants to work to prevent them.

While fans feel the increasing amount of rules is ruining the sport, Carollo stands by his stance to put the players first.

“Players’ safety trumps everything," he said. "Don’t tell me we want ‘old-time football players’. We wouldn’t have a game with all of the lawsuits. We have to look at what’s best for the game long-term, or kids will move to other sports if we don’t keep it safe.”