Bonamego awards marching band member $1,000 check

Alex Markarian had no idea why Central Michigan head football coach John Bonamego was making a special appearance at the Marching Chips' practice in the Indoor Athletic Complex on Saturday.

With the entire marching band and football team present, Bonamego awarded the Clarkston senior marching band member a $1,000 check to thank Markarian for the work he put in during his time at CMU.

"I had no idea what was going on when he called me up there. It was just cool to go up there and shake his hand," Markarian said. "It's pretty amazing and super generous. I'm happy to be a part of the band, school and the team."

As for the $1,000, Markarian said he will likely donate it to the marching band to replace or repair equipment.

Bonamego has made multiple appearances to thank members of the marching band for their support and hard work in the past, but he said he wanted to do something special this time around.

"I think our band does a great job," Bonamego said. "I think they are the finest marching band in the land. I believe that. Those kids put in a lot of hard work and they are there from before the beginning of the game and rain, shine, snow, mud or blood, they're there until the very end."

Markarian said Bonamego is one of the biggest supporters of the marching band he has met during his four years as a Marching Chip, which makes him feel welcome in the stadium.

"As a CMU alum' himself, Coach Bonamego has a unique perspective of what it means to be a Chippewa," said Marching Chips Director James Batcheller. "He also has clear a vision for leadership, service, and dedication to the advancement of others. Alex possesses those qualities and represents the best of our student leaders."

The money Markarian received was left over profits from the football program's youth camps held during the offseason. Bonamego said the camps became privatized this year.

Bonamego said he formed a limited liability company with Player Personnel Director Ben Presnell, making the youth camps their privately owned business.

"We still had a little money left and since we own (the camps), rather than pay myself, we just did this," Bonamego said.

Bonamego has made a point of improving student involvement and attendance at football games since arriving on campus in February 2015.

Although he said last year's student section was great, he believes it can be better.

"Theres's a lot of things going on, but stick around for the whole game," Bonamego said. "One of the great traditions we have here is singing the fight song together after every win and I want to include as many students as we possibly can in that. We plan on singing it a lot this year."

Batcheller said Bonamego has improved the football program's and band's relationship during his time as head coach.

"The Marching Chips and the Chippewa Football Team have been supportive of one another for decades but Coach Bonamego has taken that relationship to a new level," he said. "He's a great friend to me and to the whole band. It's really a pleasure to watch our students work so hard together toward the goal of a championship culture."