Bus stops added to I-Ride route to make voting accessible for students

Two stops will be added to the I-Ride bus route on election day to make voting more accessible for Central Michigan University students who are registered to vote in Mount Pleasant.

The stops will be added to the existing shuttle routes on election day, Nov. 8. The Deerfield Route will add a stop at the corner of Broomfield Road and Crawford Road, which is near Vowels Elementary School. The Maroon Route will add a stop in front of Fancher Elementary School, another polling site.

"This came out of the discussion of ways we could make it easier for students to get to the polls," said Mount Pleasant Mayor Kathy Ling. 

Ling said students came to the city asking about the possibility of a polling place being installed on campus to increase student voting. This option, Ling said, would confuse students who aren't registered to vote in Mount Pleasant.

"That's why there had been the discussion with I-Ride," Ling said. "I've met several times with (students) on campus to find ways to facilitate an increase in student voting."

Vowels and Fancher elementary school are the two major polling places covering most students who live on or near campus, Ling said. 

The additional stops will be offered at no cost, and will only be added to the I-Ride bus route on election day. 

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →