Clinton campaigns, focuses on improving higher education cost

Rich Drummond | Assistant Photo Editor

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton would improve higher education in America according to her husband, 42nd President Bill Clinton, who campaigned for her Monday, Sept. 3 in Saginaw.

About 200 people filled the atrium of The Dow Event Center and watched Clinton talk about the democratic nominees’ plans to focus on building infrastructure and increase access to voting. Clinton also stopped to campaign in Flint later on Monday.

Not many young adults were in the crowd, but Central Michigan University senior Emily Rambo made the trip to Saginaw to watch Clinton speak.

“I’ve always wanted to attend a rally,” Rambo said. “I hope he addresses the environment and issues in Flint. He has a big support base.”

Clinton touched briefly on green energy, saying Hillary had plans to add solar panels as part of her goal to improve sustainable infrastructure. He also said she hopes to lower taxes in areas like Flint.

Before Clinton took the stage at 1 p.m., members of the Board of Education, and Congressman Dan Kildee, D-Fifth District, pledged their support for Hillary Clinton.

“It’s time to celebrate our diversity and work together to make Michigan what it needs to be,” said John Austin, president of the state board of education.

Those who spoke before Clinton urged people in the audience to vote in elections beyond the presidency to support democrats in all levels of government.

“Anyone sitting this out, they are falling for Trump trickery,” said State Rep. Vanessa Guerra, D-Bridgeport.

As soon as Clinton took the stage, he commended President Barack Obama’s time in office, despite how unwilling congress has been in working with him.

“We need to return to broadly shared prosperity and you’ve got to have plans to do that,” Clinton said.

Melissa Rapp, a junior at Delta College, skipped class to come to the rally. She was impressed with how detailed the former president’s speech was on policy.

“It was very interesting and more in depth than (televised debates) with statistics and an actual plan,” the 20-year-old Bay City resident said.

Clinton also critiqued the election debates during conventions, and the performance of Donald Trump. There was a clear difference in “policy, principle and preparedness,” he said, between Hillary and her running mate in the presidential debate on Sept. 26.

“The most remarkable thing that happened at the Democratic Convention was that Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton agreed on an education and training plan,” Clinton said.

Part of the plan, Clinton said, is offering free tuition at all public universities for families with an income of $125,000 or less, free tuition at community colleges for everyone, reducing college debt, and increasing access to affordable skilled trade training.

One way Hillary plans on making college more affordable is by increasing work study and Pell Grants, Clinton said.

“One of the great scandals of American life is that the only debt you can’t refinance is college debt,” Clinton said. “Nobody can justify it.”

The difference between the option for middle-aged individuals to refinance mortgages at a lower rate than young students is unfair, Clinton said.

Young people’s lives would also improve from criminal justice reform if Hillary is nominated, he said.

“We need criminal justice reform in this country,” Clinton said. “It’s crazy to keep young people in prison for nonviolent offenses.”

Clinton urged people in the audience to register to vote and tell their friends to do the same before the Oct. 11 deadline in Michigan.

“It’s important to elect a president who will put people on the Supreme Court who will expand voting rights,” Clinton said.

He added that in Michigan gun rights are controversial, but Hillary supports “common sense gun laws.”

“I know it’s controversial in Michigan, but that’s the only place in the world it’s controversial,” Clinton said. “Hillary doesn’t want anybody’s guns. She just doesn’t want anyone getting killed by someone having a gun who shouldn’t in the first place.”

Clinton said his wife’s supporters are the ones who have worked with her longest and know her best. He said the result of the election will be extremely different depending on which nominee wins the election.

“You are going to get change, the question is what kind of change you’re going to get.”

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →