Bisexual/Pansexual Mixer allows students of under represented sexualities to share experiences, concerns

St. Clair Shores Senior Kathleen Trombley shares a moment of laughter with fellow students in room 303 of the UC. on Oct. 21.

As the month of Coming Out events slowly comes to a close, the Office of LGBTQ+ Services gave students identifying with sexualities with less representation the chance to share their experiences.

A pansexual/bisexual mixer was held in the Bovee University Center on Friday. The event allowed students of all identities to come together to express societal expectations and sexuality erasure in a casual environment.

Those who identify as bisexual are attracted to both genders. Those identifying as pansexual are attracted to all genders. The sexualities are often underrepresented or invalidated in the LGBTQ+ communities and media.

“The bi/pan community has low representation. I hope this will help people feel validated as well as educate people that these identities are just as important,” said junior Autumn Elise, an intern at the Office of LGBTQ+ Services. “This will help people find a safe place with people who understand their experiences and make connections with people on campus.”

The event began with a small circle of students passing a beach ball covered in questions. When the ball was caught, the question their hand landed on was to be answered.

More students began to join the mixer as questions branched off from simple “what was your favorite toy as a child?” to more serious questions such as “What is something in your life you’d like to change?”

“It’s nice to have other people there for you, even if you don’t personally know them,” Grand Rapids junior Amber Rundelo said. “Friends will say they understand you, but people within this community actually understand.”

As time passed and participants began to get more comfortable with each other, conversations switched to expressing their concerns with the standards society has created for them. Coming out stories, and how the internet helps those within the queer community meet, were shared.

When the event began to close, participants were given the opportunity to sing a poster to express their pride in their sexuality.

Flags sporting the pansexual pride colors — pink, yellow and blue — were hung on the walls, allowing students to take selfies with it in the background.

“It is helpful to be around people who are like you,” Rockford junior Evan Wittenbach said. “These are the people who share the same experiences.”

The final Coming Out month event will be a workshop on consent at 7 p.m. Oct. 27 in the University Center Room 220. The interactive presentation will cover topics such as what consent looks like, how to ask for it and why it’s mandatory.