EDITORIAL: Why we go 'pink' in October

100316_edit

One in eight women will develop some form of breast cancer within their lifetimes.

At least 246,600 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in the U.S. this year. Statistically speaking, 16 percent of those women will die from the disease. That’s not counting the 2,600 cases of men also predicted to contract breast cancer.

That’s why Central Michigan Life goes “pink” with our first October issue. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. We print our stories on pink paper to stand in solidarity with breast cancer patients, survivors, and anyone affected by the disease.

Inside this edition, you will read stories of survivors. Stories about families affected by the disease. You’ll read about what students are doing to raise money for cancer research, and about a charity that offers financial support to grieving families.

Please join us this month in remembering the people we have lost in the battle against breast cancer. Let us celebrate those patients who pulled through and won against the odds.

Mothers, daughters, sisters and friends. Fathers, brothers and sons. People who make our lives worthwhile. Their scars tell the story of recovery and triumph.

As we attempt to raise awareness with this special edition, we ask that each member of the Central Michigan University community continues the effort to stamp out breast cancer, once and for all.

Please continue to support clinical research. You can participate or donate to CMU’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer, which hosts a successful Relay for Life race each year. You can also donate to Angel Wings, an organization we highlight in this edition’s cover story.

Get checked regularly by a doctor for the telltale signs of breast cancer. Early detection can save a life.

With each small step, let us endeavor to improve treatments and prevention. Let’s do whatever it takes to make sure we never lose another loved one to breast cancer again.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →