Football takes on Kent State with chance to become bowl eligible

dsc_0271

Junior running back Devon Spalding breaks a tackle during a game against Toledo on Saturday, Oct. 22. 

John Bonamego challenged his team to continue to compete this season following a 31-17 loss to Toledo last Saturday that knocked the Central Michigan football team out of Mid-American Conference championship contention.

Though a MAC title is unlikely, the Chippewas can still become bowl eligible with a win against Kent State on Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for noon.

Bonamego said his team has responded well leading up to the matchup with the Golden Flashes.

“I think they’ve rebounded well,” he said. “They were understandably disappointed and we all are. When you invest as much time and effort into something and you don’t get the desired result, you’re going to be upset.”

Junior tight end Tyler Conklin said this has been one of the best weeks of practice for the Chippewas, following Bonamego’s challenge.

“We responded great,” Conklin said. “We’ve been flying around and everybody has had energy. It is tough to come off a loss like that knowing some of the things you wanted aren’t in reach anymore, but our team has bounced back exceptionally.”

Kent State heads into Saturday’s game led by junior quarterback/receiver Nick Holley, who is the team’s third-string quarterback.

Holley leads the Golden Flashes in rushing yards and is fourth in the MAC with 631. The dual-threat quarterback has thrown for 566 yards and two touchdown passes.

“They’ve done a really good job of building the offense around (Holley),” Bonamego said. “He’s a runner and he can throw the ball and they’ve won games with him.”

Despite the Golden Flashes being 2-6 overall and 1-3 in the MAC, Bonamego said he doesn’t expect his team to come into the game underestimating KSU.

“When you watch the film and watch (Kent State) play, you can’t help but to respect them. It’s team that is still showing a lot of fight,” he said. “I don’t worry about our guys looking past anybody. We’re a mature enough team where we understand at stake and we won’t make those type of mistakes.”

At the beginning of the season, the Chippewas had a list of goals they wanted to accomplish for the year.

Conklin said becoming eligible and earning their sixth win would boost the Chippewas confidence for the rest of the season.

“To get six and become bowl eligible at the time would mean a lot to the program as we go forward,” he said. “We’re ready to go into this game and get a win.”