Last day to register to vote Tuesday, Oct. 11

logo

Students who wish to vote in the presidential election this November only have until Tuesday to register to vote.

Registration can be done at the Secretary of State office on 1245 N. Mission St. or the city clerk’s office at 320 W. Broadway St. 

There will also be a voter registration drive orchestrated by Vote Mob CMU from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday outside of the Bovee University Center.

To vote, a person must be 18 years old, a citizen of the United States and a resident of the Michigan city, township or village where they’re registering. Students can also register by mail on vote.org.

For those who mail in voter registration forms, there is an “in-person federal requirement” which means students must be physically present to cast a vote for it to be counted. 

Students may not cast an absentee ballot if they mailed in their voter registration forms until they show some form of identification.

Mount Pleasant City Clerk Jeremy Howard warns students to take caution when filling out their registration forms.

“When you register to vote, (where you register) will change your address on the license,” Howard said in a January interview. “If students do this, they have to register and un-register to get their address back to what it initially was, (which is) either their own home or mom and dad’s house.”

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →