College of Medicine makes admissions agreement with Saginaw Valley State University

cmed

Thanks to a new partnership, students from Saginaw Valley State University applying to Central Michigan University’s College of Medicine will be able to apply a year early.

The agreement will streamline the application process for pre-med SVSU students. Applications will be accepted earlier, fees will be reduced SVSU will be able to choose the top three prospective students from their college to recommend be accepted by CMED.

Early assured applications will be accepted in May of 2017 and students accepted will start in August of 2018.

It’s not a guaranteed that CMED will accept the students, said Director of CMED Admissions Chris Austin. The program is designed to take stress off SVSU students and allow CMED admissions to identify qualified applicants.

“We’re just trying to be strategic with who we partner with and Saginaw Valley makes a lot of sense because the other part of our med school is in Saginaw,” said Austin.

Austin said there’s a possibility of developing similar programs with universities that fit with CMED’s mission to server rural and underserved communities. “It would make sense in the future to talk to the universities in the Upper Penninsula, but this isn’t something that we’re interested in just doing to do them.”