'Orange is the New Black' actress campaigns for Clinton on campus

dsc_0128

Uzo Aduba from Orange Is The New Black greets CMU students during an event with the Hillary Clinton campaign on October 29, 2016 , outside the Bovee University Center.

"Orange is the New Black" actress Uzo Aduba campaigned for Hillary Clinton on Saturday in front of the Bovee University Center.

About 100 people waited to see the 35-year-old actress who stars as the character Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren in the popular Netflix series. Clinton campaign volunteers passed out stickers and signs promoting the Democratic nominee. With nine days until the election on Nov. 8, Clinton campaign volunteers  and Aduba urged the crowd to vote and be a part of the political process.

"We're standing at the crossroads as a nation to decide who we are as a country," Aduba said. "(We don't) want to see laws in this country that would stop people like my parents from coming (here).

Aduba said her parents are from Nigeria and came to America for a better life, and Clinton as president would protect the right for others to do the same. The main reason Aduba said she is traveling to college campuses to campaign and supporting Clinton this election is because she wants to protect that right, she said.

"I hope and pray you'll use your vote to support a candidate who supports me," she said. "Use your vote — you have the power."

The actress took selfies with everyone after talking to the crowd for about 15 minutes. 

Owosso freshman Morgan Garza said she thought somebody like the famous Uzo Aduba would help Clinton relate to people more easily.

"Especially toward college students, a lot of time people assume college students won't vote," Garza said.

Before Aduba walked out of the Bovee University Center, Patrick Mullan-Koufopoulos, Clinton campaign campus coordinator for Central Michigan University, led the crowd in chanting "stronger together, and "Clinton, Kaine."

"We're not asking about this because we want volunteers, we're asking because we need volunteers," he said.

Volunteers passed around clipboards and encouraged students to sign up for shifts to volunteer for Clinton's campaign. 

About Kate Carlson

Editor-in-Chief Kate Carlson is a senior from Lapeer who is majoring in journalism with a minor in ...

View Posts by Kate Carlson →