New clinic opens to serve faculty medical needs

cmed

A new primary care clinic has opened to serve the medical needs of faculty and staff.

The College of Medicine operates clinics at Troutman and Foust Halls to offer services to students and faculty. The new facility, located at 2600 Three Leaves Dr., was opened to increase access to on-campus medical care.

“In the past, we had to turn people away because there were no available appointments,” Director of Patient Care Erik Robinette said “It’s really going to help us fill the gaps where needed and provide high-quality healthcare.”

Two new medical professionals have been added this year to improve service and providers will rotate throughout the three clinics to offer medical care. A physician and physician assistant have also been hired to work in the new clinic and will start in December.

The clinic healthcare providers will include: Dr. George Kikano, dean of the College of Medicine, CMU Athletics Medical Director Dr. Matthew Jackson and Physician Assistant Melissa White. 

The facility will offer same-day appointments, routine care, allergy injections, immunizations, full-service lab testing, gynecological exams, sports physical, sports medicine and basic cardiac screening.

“This is a full-service general practice and will offer all the services that you’d expect from any primary care physician office,” Jackson said. “The biggest benefit is the ability to have faculty utilize their wellness and preventative visits and make sure that they’re healthy.”

Robinette said that the new clinic will reduce insurance costs for faculty, staff and the university.

“CMU was paying a significant amount of money out to urgent care centers in the surrounding area and being able to direct more people to the on-campus clinics will hopefully reduce overhead costs,” he said.

The clinic is part of a partnership with McLaren Healthcare and will operate 8 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday. Hours will expand as volume increases and new clinics could open if demand increases, Robinette said.

Jackson said that turnout hasn’t been as high as he would’ve liked, but he expects demand to increase as awareness expands.

“You always hope to open an office and have a full schedule right away,” he said. “I would’ve liked to have more turnout but I have no doubt that appointments will increase. For me, it’s certainly a project that I’m proud to be a part of and it will be great to offer better care for faculty and their families.”