Women's basketball returns to McGuirk for a two-game home stand

After winning both games over the weekend against Utah Valley and North Dakota State in the Cal Poly Tournament, the Central Michigan women's basketball team is back for a two-game home stand.

The Chippewas take on Loyola at noon on Thursday at McGuirk Arena and will then host the University of Illinois at Chicago at 1 p.m. on Saturday. 

After scoring over 70 points in both victories in San Luis Obispo, California, coach Sue Guevara said the team found some positives on the offensive side of the floor.

“I think this California trip really helped our offensive confidence because I think we were struggling to score,” she said. “For a Central Michigan women’s basketball team struggling to score, well that just doesn’t happen very often.”

The team shot 47 percent over both games during Thanksgiving break and shot 35 percent from 3-point range. Senior forward Jewel Cotton led the team in scoring against Utah Valley with 16 points.  In the win against North Dakota State junior forward Tinara Moore led CMU in scoring with 20 points.

Guevara said their has been a better feel at practice leading up to this week's contests. 

“The air smells better after you win," she said. "In the past after we’ve lost a game, our kids always come back ready. This is a resilient group. There probably has been a little more pep in their step this week.”

Coming into this week’s games, Guevara said she wants to see a little more out of her team on both ends of the floor and to overcome all of the challenges they face every game.

“I want to see our offensive efficiency be better,” she said. “We have some very specific goals every quarter that we would like to get, and even as well as we played against North Dakota State, we hit 3-of-4 defensive goals and 2-of-4 offensive goals and average teams do that. We want to be better than that, almost getting to all of them is good but I want to see us get to all four of them.”