From rivals to brothers: Texas natives eager to play together for first time

In four years of playing on rival high school basketball teams in Texas, Marcus Keene never beat Braylon Rayson.

The pair of guards from Dallas West Mesquite and San Antonio Warren now play alongside each other on the Central Michigan men’s basketball team. But don’t think for a moment that any part of that rivalry has ended.

West Mesquite defeated Warren during each of the four years the two played against each other – and Rayson doesn’t let Keene forget it.

“(Marcus) and I go back since sixth grade,” Rayson said. “He was the enemy back then. We always battled, but he never beat me.”

Keene said their personal rivalry stemmed from them being the top player on each team and trying to stand out to college scouts.

“We were enemies because we were both trying to get to that next level. We were cool off the court but not on it,” he said. “It was a lot of fun. Both of us were really little back then and his team (unfortunately) got the best of mine.”

From Lone Star State to the Midwest

After their senior seasons, both finished their high school careers with awards and college scholarships.

Keene finished as Warren’s all-time leading scorer and was on his way to Youngstown State in Ohio.

However, the Penguins were in the bottom half of the conference. Keene said he wasn’t given the proper opportunity there.

“I didn’t feel like it was the right situation at the time and just didn’t work out, so I wanted to start somewhere new,” he said.

Rayson broke several school records of his own at Warren and was a McDonald’s All-American nominee heading to CMU.

As freshmen, both earned playing time and made vast developments in their first seasons. By the time they were sophomores, both were starting and putting up high numbers.

Rayson was averaging 11 points per game for the Chippewas and was the team’s fourth scoring option.

“Last year I was a leader but couldn’t be vocal enough,” he said. “I was a younger guy and had to wait my turn.”

Keene was averaging 15.6 points per game — good enough for first on YSU and sixth overall in the Horizon League.

While Keene and Rayson took separate paths, the two Texas natives kept in contact. Rayson was constantly in Keene’s ear after the Chippewas won the Mid-American Conference. He said he was intrigued with the strides the program was making.

“I knew for a fact he was going to come here, just because I was here,” Rayson said. “I knew before he knew.”

Rivals Turned Teammates

Keene announced he was transferring to CMU after the season and was prepared to join forces with his old high school nemesis.

Due to NCAA transfer rules, Keene had to sit out a year, but used that time to build chemistry with Rayson and the rest of the team.

The main thing he wanted to improve for the up-coming season was his leadership. Taking over for Chris Fowler as lead guard, Keene said he learned a lot from the former MAC Player of the Year.

“He’s one of the best leaders I’ve seen on and off the court. I’ve taken a lot of that as far as wanting to help out the younger guys this year,” Keene said. “I’ve got big shoes to fill. I don’t want to surpass Chris’ legacy. I just want to do what it takes to win games.”

Living a floor apart, Rayson said he and Keene hang out and have grown very close. The two have learned to stop competing with each other. Their newfound chemistry, Rayson said, will be hard for teams to match.

“It’s fun to keep building a relationship with someone I call my brother,” Rayson said. “It’s going to be hard for teams to guard someone like him and someone like me. You can’t do it. It’s not possible. It’s going to be exciting.” 

Head coach Keno Davis said the duo is special because while they are “great” scorers, they have learned how to create scoring chances for their teammates.

“They’re similar in that they are both very explosive,” Davis said. “They don’t take that open shot if they have a teammate open. They’re both as unselfish as a great scorer can be.”

Keene said he believes the two being smaller guards at 5-foot-9 will make them difficult to guard for other teams.

“Our games will mesh fine. If I’m tired, he can handle the ball and if he’s tired, I can handle the ball,” he said. “We can both shoot and both get to the lane.”

Rayson said he’s excited for his senior season and still can't believe he is going to play it alongside a former rival. 

“After playing against him in high school, I would have never thought we would play together on the same team,” he said. “The person I used to always go to battle with is now on my team.”