Trustees consider Ross salary, $5.7 million in projects on Dec. 8

img_4429
Trustee Sarah Opperman speaks to the Board during the Board of Trustees meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 22, in the President's Conference Room.

Discussion about $5.7 million in deferred maintenance projects for the 2017-18 academic year and the approval of President George Ross’s salary will be two topics of discussion at the Central Michigan University Board of Trustees meeting at 8:30 a.m. on Dec. 8 in the President’s Conference Room.

The board will likely hear committee reports and updates, including an update from the Finance and Facilities Committee regarding the university budget deficit’s growth from $9 million to $10.6 million.

Board chair Sarah Opperman and Trustee John Hurd will be completing their board terms on Dec. 31. Opperman and Hurd will remain on the board until Gov. Rick Snyder announces their replacements, whichwhould be next month.

“I have been honored to be part of the board of trustees and more importantly part of CMU,” Opperman said. “My focus has always been on student success, and hopefully our contributions as a board will drive student success in the coming years.”

More than 2,200 prospective graduates will be considered and approved for graduation by the board.

Updates from trustee committee meetings

Prior to the Board of Trustees meeting, board subcommittees met on Wednesday.

The Academic and Student Affairs Committee met from 2 to 2:45 p.m. A report on student leadership programming was presented by Steven Johnson, vice president of Enrollment and Student Services, and Dan Gaken, director of the Leadership Institute. Elizabeth Carlson, Communication and Dramatic Arts faculty members, and Matt Johnson, educational leadership faculty member also presented.

Additional research findings were presented by Provost Michael Gealt and David Ash, interim vice president for Research and Graduate Studies.

The Finance and Facilities Committee gave updates on the university’s budget and major facilities projects.

On the budget, CMU’s Service Centers — which make up non-academic colleges, recruitment centers and Global Campus — are experiencing a $6.5 million shortfall, said Barrie Wilkes, vice president of Finance and Administrative Services. Planning to address budget cuts starts in January.

Wilkes said his office won’t be making cuts across the board, but are protecting the university’s Advancement and Admissions offices.

Trustees will discuss budget issues and completed projects at Thursday’s meeting.

The Trustees-Faculty Liaison Committee met from 4 to 5 p.m. and presented an update on the university’s strategic planning and the Online Academic Program Committee. The committee is tasked with finding ways to improve online courses offered at CMU.

Wrapping up the day, the Trustees-Student Liaison Committee met from 5 to 6 p.m. to discuss an updated proposal for a gender and sexuality center.

Managing Editor Ben Solis and staff reporter Samantha Shriber contributed to this report.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →