Chippewas swept by Michigan in D-III hockey action

The Central Michigan Division III hockey team was swept by Michigan's D-III team over the weekend. 

The Chippewas dropped Friday's contest 4-2 and then 3-1 on Saturday to the Wolverines. The Chippewas fell to 8-10 on the season with the losses and have yet to win back-to-back games.

In Saturday's contest, the Wolverines got off to a quick start and carried a 3-0 lead into the third period. The Chippewas scored its lone goal with 17:58 remaining from a goal from Ryan Tyrer with an assist from Nickolas Wink and Cal Jesko. 

The Chippewas tried to cut into the lead on a power play with 12:41 left in the third period, but would fail to capitalize on the opportunity as they fired only one shot on net. 

The Chippewas outshot the Wolverines 85-36, but were unable to find the back of the net more than once. 

The scoring began quickly for the Wolverines as they scored three minutes into the game then again with 4:31 remaining in the first period. Taking a 2-0 lead into the second period, the Wolverines struck fast again, this time just one minute into the second period to put the game out of reach. 

CMU Head Coach Tyler Cataline said he was not happy with the result of the game, but praised the Wolverines goalie, Alex Chen. 

“We out shot them by 50 and every single one went into (Chen's) chest,” Cataline said. “Have to give credit to their goalie. He played an outstanding game."  

Cataline said the slow start in the first period doomed his team for the remainder of the contest. 

“The guys knew what they had to do in the second and third period and they did what they could do," he said. "I’m upset because we played a good game, but the outcome just wasn’t on our side." 

The Chippewas will play a home-and-home series next weekend against the Saginaw Valley State.