CMU wins annual Hoops for Hunger game against Loyola

dsc_0395

Sophomore forward Reyna Frost jumps to shoot the ball on Dec.1, 2016 at McGuirk Arena.

In front of 3,372 elementary and middle school students, teachers, and fans Thursday afternoon as a part of the annual “Hoops for Hunger” game, the CMU women's basketball started hot and never looked back.

The Chippewas started the game on an 8-0 run and never lost the lead again after that, winning 95-57.

In the second quarter, the Chippewas pulled away, outscoring Loyola 23-13 to take a 46-23 lead going into halftime. 

The second half was more of the same. The Chippewas controlled every facet of the game while taking 30 point lead. 

Sophomore guard Presley Hudson shot 62 percent from the field and made six 3-pointers to lead all scorers with 29 points. She added two assists. 

“It felt good after awhile of not getting my shot in. I knew I had to just keep shooting,” Hudson said. “I stayed positive and it feels good to be back.”

The Chippewas had two other players finish in double-figures. Junior guard Cassie Breen had 14 points and senior forward Jewel Cotton had 15 points while adding nine rebounds.

Sophomore forward Reyna Frost nearly had a double-double with a game high 15 rebounds and eight points.

Frost said she felt her team took advantage of the size differential on the glass against Loyola.

“We are really strong on the post, and especially today because they are smaller than us,” Frost said. “Post play is one of our key points because not a lot of teams in the MAC (Mid-American Conference) have three players who can get rebounds and score like that.”

CMU out rebounded Loyola 41-28 with 23 of those coming on the offensive end. Loyola also turned the ball over 17 times, which lead to 30 points for CMU.

Head Coach Sue Guevara said she was happy to see her team finding offensive consistency.

“We will take it. It has been a minute since we've put up 95 points and now we have to keep that going,” Guevara said. “We’ve got a different team coming in here on saturday, much different than what we just played. I want to see some consistency and improved play from our bench.”

The Chippewas will be back at McGuirk Arena on Saturday where they will play four of their next five games. CMU will take on University of Illinois at Chicago at 1 p.m Saturday. 

Hoops for Hunger

For nine straight years, the Chippewas have invited local schools to come and watch the team play while the schools donate food to the Greater Lansing Food Bank.

This year, the 12 combined schools in attendance raised 42,621 pounds of food.

Sixth grader Samantha Durthy, from Renaissance, said she thought the event was fun.

“It’s really friendly and there is a lot of people here,” Durthy said. “I really hope that (CMU) wins. It's just a lot of fun.”

Saglly Spayd teaches fifth grade at Mary McGuire and thought the atmosphere was good for the kids.

“It is a little bit crazy and there is a lot of kids in one space, but the kids are having fun,” Spayd said. “Our kids have enjoyed this for the past four or five years.”

Guevara said she thinks it is great not just for the fundraising cause, but for her team as well.

“The energy and noise is big, enthusiasm is contagious for our team,” Guevara said. “It’s something we do every year that I think is very well received by the schools here in Mid-Michigan area and the food helps a lot of the families. Its something we are going to continue to do for the community that does so much for us.”