Fourteen Chippewas place first at Doug Hansen Invitational

Friday’s Doug Hansen Invitational was headlined by freshman Logan Targgart breaking Central Michigan's freshman record in the weight throw with a throw of 18.42 meters, good for second at the meet. 

“We had a lot of personal bests today,” track and field director Mark Guthrie said. “Everyone across the board really impressed me.”

Fourteen Chippewas came home with a first place win — five from the men and nine from the women. 

“I’m really encouraged with the progress since last meet,” said Guthrie.  

Freshman Nadia Williams continued the outstanding start to her career with a 24.69 in the women’s 200, good for first place. 

Winning the high jump was sophomore Emily Helfrich with a 1.58-meter jump. 

Freshman Ja’la Taylor and sophomore Kyra Harrison came in first and second in the women’s long jump with jumps of 5.48 and 5.26 meters. 

Taylor also won the triple jump with 11.52.

For the second meet in a row, senior Kylee Dobbelaere won first place in the weight throw with a 17.26-meter toss. 

Senior Kelly Schubert took home first place in the 3,000 with a 9:55.71, while sophomore Samantha Allmacher and senior Jamie Madrigal took third and fourth. 

With a time of 55.97, sophomore Samantha Cuneo came in first in the women’s 400.

Both of the top two spots in the women’s 800 were won by Central runners. Senior Kelsey Ross won the event with a 2:15.17, while senior Michaela Bundy ran a 2:18.74.

Second place in the women’s 60 went to freshman Denasia Dornak with a time of 8.04.

Juniors Megan Davis and Megan O’Neil took second and third in the mile with 5:01.08 and 5:08.71.

Five of the seven top spots in the women’s 60-meter hurdles went to the Chips, with the top spot going to sophomore Danielle Horton with 8.93 seconds. 

Senior Dylan Banagis won the weight throw with 20.17. The duo took first and second in last week’s Jack Skoog Triangular as well. 

Targgart also placed in the men’s shot put, taking third place with a 15.49-meter throw. 

Continuing his strong start to the season, junior Scott Cousino took first place in the 800 meter with 1:54.39. 

Coming in second for the men’s high jump was sophomore Aaron Taylor with a 1.98-meter jump. 

Sophomore Jake Peister came in third place in the men’s triple jump with 14.10 meters. 

For the second meet in a row, junior Sam Wagner took first place in the men’s high jump with a 4.91-meter leap. 

Sophomore Benjamin Hayes and junior Erick Huertas came in first and second in the men’s 400-meter dash, with times of 47.70 and 48.75 seconds, respectively. 

The men dominated the 60-meter dash, with senior Malik Peacock, junior Jamar Hardy, and junior Lorenzo Wells taking second, third, and fourth with times of 6.95, 6.98, and 7.00 seconds. 

Senior Silas DeKalita took third in the 3,000 with a time of 8:29.24.

Breaking his personal record, junior Ali Taha took second in the long jump with 6.68 meters.

The next meet will be at 2:30 next Friday at the Cardinal Invitational in Saginaw.