Habitat for Humanity student volunteers help families in need

Habitat for Humanity for Isabella County has a mission to remove substandard housing in the U.S. by providing safe, decent and affordable housing for low income families in need.

Since Central Michigan University’s affiliate with the organization in 1998, students have helped build 37 homes and helped 38 families through the homeownership program.

In 2016, 31 CMU students participated for Habitat for Humanity.

“To know that I’m helping people (is a) humbling experience for me,” said Stacy Todd, executive director of Isabella County’s Habitat for Humanity.

Todd has been involved with the organization for about two years and has been a director for 20 months. One of her proudest moments was when she helped two elderly sisters restore their home, allowing them to remain living there.

“It brought me joy and gave them comfort,” Todd said.

Habitat for Humanity doesn’t just help build houses - it also sells donated home living items at low prices.

Muskegon senior Amy Vos has been interning for the organization since the beginning of fall semester.

“I do a lot of helping out by promoting their cause,” Vos said. “I’m kind of behind the scenes taking pictures and videos. Working here opens your eyes for how many people don’t have homes. It’s something that people should have, but many just in this county alone don’t have.”

A group of Central Michigan University students volunteer for Habitat for Humanity under Emma Powell, an assistant professor for the political science and public administration.

“It’s an example for the students to really see and engage in helping your neighbor by doing a day of service (while also being of) help to the area,” Powell said. “Everyone really took to it when given the opportunity. People really raised to the occasion.”

The organization is on the list for medical students to help the low income population and through that effort it helps make a difference by building homes for families in need.

“I think involving the students in this helps expand student’s perspective,” Powell said. “It gets them out of that tunnel vision and gets them to see what’s really happening.”

Students interested in volunteering for Habitat for Humanity can call (989) 773-0043.