'Finding Forever' release party brings high energy to Wayside Central

More than 100 people came and danced at Wayside Central to support local musicians in Mount Pleasant on Thursday night, Feb. 9. 

The show, hosted by Central Michigan University's student-run record label Moore Media Records, was a release party celebrating the drop of its first hip-hop sampler album, “Finding Forever.” The five artists included on the album — World, Daniel Hex, JAY CRIBB$, Elijah Ghost and Cassius Tae performed, all accompanied by the beats of DJ Haysty.

Most of the artists were from the Mount Pleasant community. Some are CMU students while others were natives of Detroit.

Trilla, an act provided by Wayside, kicked off the show by encouraging the excitement of support for upcoming artists.

“You all are out here for the love of the artists," he said. "How beautiful is that?”

Each musician performed between three and five songs. The energy of the crowd maintained throughout the entire concert.

Tustin senior Jack Cafretsas, the promotions manager at Moore Media Records, said the artists were chosen for the sampler because the record label had previously worked with them.

“Our president and producer of the sample, Thibault Ruellan, had known and worked with a few of the artists before, such as Cassius Tae,” Cafretsas said. “Other artists like JAY CRIBB$ and Elijah Ghost had been involved with (Moore Media Records) in the past as organization members. When it came time to pick artists, we already knew of people with great talents who would love to work with us.”

Cafretsas described the artists as "real" and "organic." He said seeing the music at its roots is what makes local music great.

“The 'Finding Forever' release show was a huge success,” Cafrestsas said. “It was really great to see fans of each artist come together to create such a positive vibe. The show ran very smoothly and it felt satisfying to see everyone have a fun time.”

Southfield native Jason Cribbs, otherwise known as JAY CRIBB$, said he was thrilled to be performing at the show, where he was able to headline for the first time.

“I was happy because I love just performing in general and I got to do my own set,” Cribbs said. “I’ve been doing guest appearances, but (now) I finally got to do something all on my own. Plus, it’s at the place where I got started.”

The album can be found on Moore Media Records website, or by searching “Finding Forever” on apple music, spotify, amazon, google music, or Tidal.

Cafrestsas said Moore Media Records is planning to release another sampler album at the end of the semester, which is set to be an indie-rock compilation.

About Emma Dale

Editor-in-Chief Emma Dale is a junior from Grand Haven double majoring in journalism and political ...

View Posts by Emma Dale →