Football brings in 26 recruits on National Signing Day

The Central Michigan football team brought in 26 recruits during National Signing Day on Wednesday.

National Signing Day is nationwide event when college football teams make their last-ditch effort to receive athletes’ signatures of whom they hope will lead them to a conference and national championship.

"Overall, it's a very strong class. We're excited about it," said head coach John Bonamego. "Our goal as a staff was to get bigger, stronger, more athletic (players). We feel like we've definitely accomplished that."

The Chippewas, who finished 6-7 last season, bring in a class that is ranked as high as fourth in the Mid-American Conference by scout.com and as low as eighth by rivals.com.

The 26 total recruits are nearly double the amount of recruits the team brought in last season (14).

CMU's 2017 class comprises 14 defensive players and 12 offensive players, with 13 players being from Michigan. 

The Chippewas signed nine players who were named to the Detroit Free Press Fab 50, which ranks 50 of the best high school seniors in Michigan. That number is the most of any school in the state of Michigan and in the MAC.

CMU also extend its recruiting nationally with signees from Alabama, Florida, Missouri, New York and Ohio.

"We've won head-to-head battles with some Power Five schools including Rutgers, Boston College, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue and Minnesota," Bonamego said. "We were able to expand our profile and our brand on a national level."

According to several recruiting websites, CMU is projected to be ranked between 80-90 nationally.

Tight end Keegan Cossou, defensive lineman Johnathan Berghorst and safety Devonni Reed highlight CMU’s class.

Cossou, a native of Greenville, is listed at 6-feet-5 inch, 220 pounds and is ranked as the nation’s 36th best tight end.

"A lot of tight end positions become specialized," Bonamego said. "You have your passing and receiving tight ends, and you have your blocking tight ends. Keegan has the ability to do both at a very high level."

Berghorst (6’3, 275lb) of Zeeland and Reed of Belleville (6’0, 180lb) are ranked 81st and 77th in at their positions nationally, respectively. 

CMU also added four offensive linemen after failing to signing any in 2016 and brought in five wide receivers including Jacorey Sullivan from Muskegon and Drayton Law from Mobile, Alabama.

The Chippewas open the 2017 season against Rhode Island on Aug. 31 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 

About McKenzie Sanderson

McKenzie Sanderson is the Sports Editor at Central Michigan Life. She is a senior at Central ...

View Posts by McKenzie Sanderson →