'Pitch to the Pros' event prepares students for New Venture Competition

life

A workshop for students participating in the upcoming New Venture Completion will be held from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Feb. 10 in Grawn 278. The workshop, titled “Marketing Strategy and Key Milestones,” is hosted by the College of Business Administration.

Bruce Marble, executive director of the Entrepreneurship Institute and facilitator of the College of Business’ New Venture activities, said the workshop goal is to teach students essential marketing and selling techniques that they will hopefully use in the upcoming Pitch to the Pros event on Feb. 17 and the New Venture Competition on March 24.

Pitch to a Pro will see student entrepreneurs present the pitches they’ve developed for the Make-a-Pitch and New Venture Competitions in a one-on-one session with a professional investor.

“It’s similar (to Make-a-Pitch) in the sense that it’s another chance to give their two-minute pitch,” he said. “It’s different because in this case, instead of having judges, after they pitch they’ll sit down with their entire team and have 15 to 20 minutes with one of these pros to get feedback on what works and what needs to be improved on.”

Friday's workshop is the final opportunity students will have to work on their executive summaries and financial tables. Prior to Pitch to the Pros, students will submit information to the investors so that they will be prepared with critiques beforehand.

This is the third NVC workshop hosted by the College of Business this semester. Two more will be held leading up to the New Venture Competition — “Get Ready to Launch & Present to Investors” on Feb. 24, and a New Venture preview on March 17.