Luau to encourage spring break safety

logo

Campus Health Advocates Motivating Peers and Central Michigan Collegiate Recovery, Education and Wellness will host a luau on Wednesday, March 1, in the Bovee University Center Rotunda.

The event will educate students on the importance of spring break safety, particularly regarding the use of alcohol.

The luau will take place from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. and will include games, tabling, free food and a panel discussion.

“This event is meant to be fun and engaging so students can gain better knowledge about the negative consequences of substance misuse,” CHAMP president Hailey Zacharski said.

CHAMP is dedicated to promoting healthy living through programming and presentations done in collaboration with Residence Life, Greek Life, various offices on campus and other RSOs. The luau will be co-hosted with CMCREW, which educates students on substance abuse and provides prevention and recovery support for alcohol and drug misuse.

“We are hoping that the seriousness of the panel discussion will hit home with students and help them to realize just how valuable and relatable these stories can be,” Zacharski said. “There is a lot of pressure to drink in college and many unfortunate events occur as a result of risky drinking.”