Sophomore slugger leads offensive charge for softball team

softball
Sophomore Outfielder Allison Curtis swings through a pitch on Mar. 25 at Margo Jonker Stadium. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

When it comes to hitting, sophomore outfielder Allison Curtis is at the top of the list for the Central Michigan softball team.

The Tucson, Arizona, native is leading the team in batting average (.395) and slugging percentage (.539). Her batting average is tied for seventh in the Mid-American Conference. Curtis also has a home run in addition to 11 RBIs and nine stolen bases in 10 attempts.

Leading the team in hitting is nothing new for the Salpointe Catholic High School graduate. In her freshman season, Curtis co-led the Chippewas with a .336 batting average, which earned her All-MAC First Team and Freshman Team honors. She also ranked second on the team in hits (44) and was third on the team in stolen bases (7).

“When I’m on the field I just try to keep it simple so I don’t overthink what I am doing,” Curtis said. “’See the ball, hit the ball’ is kind of what I have always gone by. Right now, I’m feeling confident, which is also a big part of my performance at the plate right now.”

Head coach Margo Jonker said Curtis excels in more than one area of the game. 

“(Curtis) works extremely hard at practice which makes her a great teammate, and she has a triple threat,” Jonker said. “She can hit, bunt and slap. She also has a great arm and is a really good defender. She has it all.”

Arriving at CMU
Curtis said CMU’s campus, which is 1,620 miles away from her hometown, was a big part of her decision to journey to CMU.

“I love the campus here at CMU and I love this team, it’s a big part of why I packed here,” Curtis said. “Sometimes I question it because of the cold, but really it is a perfect fit for me and I love it here.”

Curtis said the challenges of living far away from home haven't affected her game in a negative way because of support from her teammates.

“I usually just play the game, I don’t think about that kind of stuff to much,” Curtis said. “Adjusting to the cold weather has probably been the biggest challenge for me, having to play in Under Armor, but I’ve gotten past it.”

One of those teammates is senior pitcher Rachel Knapp, who has played with Curtis since she arrived in Mount Pleasant. 

“Honestly, (Curtis) is just a lot of fun to be around on a daily basis, and is a hard worker,” Knapp said of her teammate. “It really is showing on the field this season and seems to be paying off for her. She’s just been awesome since she got here.”

Jonker said Curtis shines both on and off the field, which sets her apart from other players.  

“(Curtis) is a great player, and maybe even better than that she is a great person,” Jonker said. “We are fortunate to have a personality like her. She's a great person, student and player, so what could be better than that.”

Winning nine of their last 10 games and sporting a 17-8 overall record, the Chippewas head into the conference season as one of the hottest teams in the MAC.

In order to help keep up with the team’s pace, Curtis said she has a few goals set aside for herself and the team moving forward.

“In order for us to be successful, we need to stay positive and encourage each other that we really can win this conference,” she said. “As for myself, I want to keep getting on base for the team and do whatever it takes for us to win games.”