Baseball allows season-high 21 runs in loss to UCF

Things spiraled out of control early for the Central Michigan baseball team Friday against Central Florida. 

In the first game of a three-game series, UCF topped the Chippewas 21-1 in Orlando, snapping a two-game win streak for CMU. The Chippewas are now 5-8 on the season. 

Scoring summary

CMU only came in the first inning. Lead-off batter senior Alex Borglin singled up the middle to start the inning, then Daniel Robinson reached off of a single to left field. Jason Sullivan then grounded out to third base and tallied an RBI when Borglin scored.

The one run scored is a season low for the Chippewas. 21 runs allowed is also a season high for CMU. 

After CMU opened the game with a run, UCF scored two runs in the second inning and extended its lead to 8-1 with six runs in the second. The Knights scored at least one run in every inning. 

UCF's 21 runs came off of 19 hits. They were led by Rylan Thomas, who hit two home runs and tallied 7 RBIs. Five Knights had two or more hits in the game.

Pitching summary

The Chippewas used four different pitchers in Friday's loss. Sophomore right-hander Pat Leatherman started the game and allowed 11 runs off of 10 hits in three innings. 

Leatherman was followed by another sophomore, right-hander Sean Martins, who pitched the next two innings and gave up five runs throwing 40 pitches. 

In the sixth inning the senior left-handed pitcher senior Brady Williams came in for Martins. He threw 42 pitches and allowed three runs to be scored in the one full inning he threw.

Freshman Cam Brown finished the game for the Chippewas. Brown threw 27 pitches and allowed two runs in one full inning. Brown came in for Williams in the middle of the seventh inning. 

What's Next

The Chippewas take on UCF again at 6:30 p.m. Saturday.