Baseball ends five-game losing streak with 15-5 win over Baldwin-Wallace

Ending a five-game losing skid, the Central Michigan baseball team scored 15 runs to top Baldwin Wallace by a score of 15-5.

The Chippewas improved their record to 4-7 on the season. They will play one more game against Georgetown in Port Charlotte, Florida.

Head coach Steve Jaksa was very proud of his shortstop, Alex Borglin.

"Just how he played is hard to put in words," Jaksa said. "It was really a leadership kind of play. He kind of set a tone on how he played defense."

Scoring Summary 

CMU got on the board first with two runs in the first inning after loading the bases from one hit and two walks. Borglin scored when Jason Sullivan was hit by a pitch, and Zack Gilles scored on a fly-out from Daniel Jipping.

BW loaded the bases in the top of the third inning then went on to drive in three runs off of a double from  Cole Nieto.

By the end of the fourth inning, both teams scored another run and the score was 5-4 in favor of the Chippewas. 

CMU had two more big innings in the fifth and seventh scoring a total of eight more runs.

David Cole led the Chippewas with four hits on five at-bats scoring two runs and notching two RBIs.

"We finally broke loose and they made a couple of errors to help us," Jaksa said. "Anytime you start swinging the bats a little bit and they make an error to keep the inning going then you just get more swings and our swings got better as the game went on."

Pitching Summary

Sophomore left-handed pitcher Jack Collins got his first start this season in today's game. He played two full innings, faced 11 batters and gave up three runs. 

During the third inning, Collins was replaced by the junior right-handed pitcher Colton Bradley who pitched the bulk of the innings. Bradley pitched four innings and faced 17 batters and let in two runs.

Cameron Brown replaced Bradley before the eighth inning. In his debut, Brown faced nine batters, let up four hits and only one run.

Jaksa said he was happy to get Brown more time on the mound today.

What's Next

CMU takes on Georgetown at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow. This is their last of five games in Port Charlotte, Florida. CMU then starts a three-game series against UCF in Orlando, Florida on Friday, March 10.