Former CMU, Detroit Lions tight end sentenced for domestic violence charge

fullsizerenderjpg

Ben McCord

Editor's note: This story has been updated with new information.

Ben McCord, a former Central Michigan football tight end and one-time Detroit Lions practice team member, was sentenced on Monday, March 27 on a domestic violence charge in Isabella County Court, according to the Isabella County Sheriff's Office and court staff.

McCord, 24, was still in custody after his sentencing, spending some time on Monday in the Isabella County jail, said Isabella County Sheriff Mike Main.

His plea and trial information are under seal and not available to the public, according to court staff. It is uncertain how McCord plead to the charges or if his sentence was deferred.

Main said McCord was sentenced for a domestic violence charge dating back to Dec. 14, 2016. The incident occurred in Lexington Ridge Apartments, 3700 E. Deerfield Road, and involved a domestic dispute between him and a longtime girlfriend — the victim in the case, Main added. McCord and the victim had been dating for five years.

The details of McCord's arrest are unknown. Main did say, however, that McCord turned himself into police on Jan. 6, 2017. He was arraigned the next day, paid bail and was released from custody on Jan. 7.

McCord joined the Chippewas football team in 2011 and remained on the team until 2015 when he ran out his eligibility to play. He made an appearance at Central Michigan Pro Day last week. In May 2016, McCord signed on to join the Detroit Lions practice team. He was later cut in August 2016 to make space for another tight end.

He is currently student at CMU.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →