Rapid Reaction: CMU 13, Miami (OH) 7

jab_7853
Sophomore Pitcher Pat Leatherman delivers a pitch to a Missouri State batter on Mar. 26 at Theunissen Stadium. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

The Central Michigan baseball team picked a good day to have one of its best offensive games all season. 

CMU opened Mid-American Conference play with a 13-7 win in the first game of a double-header against Miami (Oh.). With the victory, the Chippewas improve to 11-14 on the season and 1-0 in the MAC. 

CMU scored 12 runs against the Redhawks in today's game. This is the third most runs that the CMU offense has scored so far this season. 

The scoring started in the first inning for the Chippewas, Jason Sullivan and Daniel Jipping both scored runs to get off to a 2-0 lead. CMU went on to score four runs in the fourth inning. 

Robert Greenman scored a two-run homer in the fifth inning and that was followed by two more runs to lead 10-4.

In the final three innings, the Chippewas added three runs to extend their lead to 13-7.

Dazon Cole pitched the first five innings in today's game. The Pontiac, Michigan native let in four runs and recorded multiple strikeouts. 

Michael Brettell came in to relieve Cole going into the sixth inning. Brettell didn't let in any runs in the two innings that he pitched. 

Brettell was replaced by Jack Collins in the eighth inning. Collins allowed three runs in final inning of the game. 

Game Two of the double-header is scheduled to start at 4:05 p.m.