COLUMN: CMU student's struggle with bone marrow disease inspired me to donate

After reading about the story of Central Michigan University senior Kyle Tanner, I was overwhelmed with emotion.

The disease he has, Fanconi anemia, is horrible. Being the same age as him, I can't imagine dealing with what he's gone through.

Since Tanner was first diagnosed with the life-threatening disease at age 16, he has lived every day knowing someday he would need a potentially life-saving bone marrow transplant.

The thought made me feel helpless.

I felt so much for him and people in similar situations. But what could I do for him or someone like him?

After a little research, I found that Be The Match is an easy and quick way to sign up to become a bone marrow donor or to simply donate money.

Immediately, I was compelled to do both. I think college students should seriously consider being a blood, bone marrow, stem cell, plasma, organ or other kind of donor. It's an easy way to make an impact — even save a life.

After telling people I was going to register to become a marrow donor, I kept getting the same response: “Don’t you know how painful it is to donate bone marrow?”

I couldn't understand where these people were coming from. Maybe I’ll be in pain for a couple days from the procedure, sure. But the short-term soreness will be worth it if it means someone else may have a new chance at life.

How could one day of pain compare to a life lost?

I thought about if the situation was switched. What if I, or someone I know, had a disease where they needed a marrow donor, but had to wait years to find a match?

It would be awful.

I would be eternally grateful if a stranger cared enough to give a donation that will save the life of someone they may never meet.

For Tanner, a 20-year-old from Germany is the person who made the decision to help a stranger. It saved Tanner's life.

If donating a part of your body doesn’t sit well with you, you can still donate money. I understand some people may not be in the right financial spot to donate, but you have to think beyond the meaning of money.

I’m a college student. I have bills to pay and work a part-time minimum wage job. But I can still find a way to give. I can sacrifice going to Panera Bread every week or going on my next "treat yourself" shopping trip.

Saving a life is worth it.