Lacrosse falls to Jacksonville, 17-5

lax_7

Sophomore midfielder Riley Huda battles opposing team to try and score on April 2nd at Lacrosse complex

It was a fast start, but a disappointing ending for the Central Michigan Lacrosse team Sunday. 

The Chippewas dropped their fourth consecutive game Sunday to Atlantic Sun Conference first-place leader Jacksonville, 17-5 in Florida.

With two losses on the weekend, the Chippewas remain in ninth-place in the ASUN and sit at 4-9 overall and 1-5 in the ASUN. 

CMU came out hot against the Dolphins jumping out to a 3-0 lead. Tyra Prince, Jocelyne Lemay and Shannon Doyle each scored to force Jacksonville to take an early timeout.

“We opened up with great, confident play,” said Head Coach Sara Tisdale. “We got back to connected communication on (defense) and executed well on offense.”

Midway through the first half the Dolphins caught fire. Jacksonville scored three goals within two minutes to tie the game at 4-4 with 14 minutes left in the first half.

Jacksonville continued to dominate ending the first half with 11 unanswered goals to head into halftime leading 12-4. 

The Dolphins scored the first three goals of the second half before Prince scored her second of the afternoon to end Jacksonville's scoring streak.

Jacksonville managed to score two more goals before the final buzzer. 

“When we stuck to our game plan we found success,” Tisdale said. “Looking ahead we need a consistent effort from our core group.”

The Chippewas are likely fighting Delaware State, Howard and Detroit-Mercy for the eighth and final playoff spot for the conference tournament. Those three teams happen to fill the final three games on CMU's schedule.

Before those three vital games, the Chippewas will take on defending ASUN champion, Old Dominion at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 13 at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.