Former CMU QB Cooper Rush signs as an undrafted free agent with Dallas

cooper_rush
Senior quarterback Cooper Rush speaks to the media following the annual CMU Pro Day, Mar. 20 in the Indoor Athletic Center. Josh Barnhart | Staff Photographer

After former Central Michigan quarterback Cooper Rush wasn't selected in the 2017 NFL Draft, it didn't take long for him to receive an opportunity.

The Lansing Catholic high school graduate landed a spot with the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent. Rush announced his decision via Twitter, thanking the football franchise, his family, friends teammates and coaches.

Rush was one of CMU’s most highly praised quarterbacks in the programs history, after starting 50 consecutive games in his four-year career. The Charlotte native threw for 12,894 yards and 90 touchdowns in his tenure with the Chippewas.

Former teammate and CMU alum Kavon Frazier, who also plays for the Cowboys, gave a shoutout on twitter to Rush shortly after the news broke.

“Can’t wait to play with you again," Frazier said in a tweet.

Rush will have to compete with Kellen Moore and Dak Prescott for the quarterback position with Dallas. Prescott broke out last season for the team as a rookie and helped lead their squad to first place in the NFC East division before losing in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs to the Green Bay Packers.

While Rush threw 55 interceptions in his college career, his QB rating never dropped below 126.2 in any season. He hit the 140 mark in two of his four years with the program.

On May 5 through 8, NFL teams are allowed to hold their three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday. That same event can also be held May 12 through 15.

There is no official word on when Rush will arrive in Dallas or get involved with the team.