SGA closes semester with presidential inauguration
Student Government Association presented 10 awards at its Presidential Inauguration on Monday in Powers Ballroom.
Outgoing SGA President Jazmin Biernat also handed over the reins to her Vice President Anna Owens, who will become SGA president next year.
“I am beyond thankful to be apart of this wonderful organization with all of these amazing and hard working individuals,” Biernat said.
The awards presented were following:
- Academic Affairs Outstanding Committee Member of the Year
- Diversity Outstanding Committee Member of the Year
- Governmental Affairs Outstanding Committee Member of the Year
- RSO Growth & Development Outstanding Committee Member of the Year
- Spirits and Traditions Outstanding Committee Member of the Year
- Sustainability Outstanding Committee Member of the Year
- Outstanding House Member
- Outstanding Senate Member
- Charles Mahone II Dedication in Service
- Presidential Recognition
After a buffet dinner, 15 new senators, incoming Treasurer Mike Degregory, incoming Vice President Derek Sturvist and Owens took the stage for the swearing-in ceremony.
“I’m really, truly excited for these group of students to be supported and lead SGA next year, and subsequently the student body,” Biernat said. “I’m really excited to see what they do, the plans that they come up with, the events (and) the legislation.”
Owens ended the night with her acceptance speech.
“As students we have the power to create incredible movements and (Sturvist) and I are both honored to have been given the chance to do so and to serve the students of (Central Michigan University),” Owens said. “Now our mission begins.”
This year SGA passed 19 pieces of legislation, including another resolution in support of the Gender and Sexuality Center. There have now been four pieces of legislation in support of a Women’s Center on CMU’s campus.