Softball completes sweep over Western

The season sweep against rival Western Michigan is complete after the Central Michigan softball team recorded 16 hits to defeat the Broncos 10-2 on Wednesday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Senior Rachael Knapp recorded her 15th win of the season after dishing out 8 strikeouts. CMU improves to 24-11 on the season and 9-3 in Mid-American Conference play.

The Chippewas were led by Sophomore Allison Curtis who went 4-4 on the day. 

Western Michigan took the early lead in the first inning, but sophomore Kayla Noch turned things around when singling into right field to drive in Curtis. The Chippewas controlled the game from there. Senior Taylor Lewallen provided one more run in the first, and CMU drove in two more in the second.

After two innings, CMU led 4-1. Knapp continued her season-long dominance, striking out batters time and time again.  

“We feel confident behind Knapp," Curtis said. "Her doing well gives us the confidence to hit for her.”

The Chippewas put that confidence on display, scoring six runs in the fifth inning to end the game by mercy rule.

Lead-off hitter Lacy Tolfree went 3-4 on the day. Lewallen and sophomores Rachael Vieira and Erika Underwood contributed two hits apiece.

CMU completed its first sweep of the season and are just one game back of first place in Mid-American Conference play.

“We know if we want to reach some of our goals, we need to sweep some weekends and I’m happy we could accomplish that today,” Jonker said.

What’s Next

Central Michigan will take on Toledo in a three-game series starting at 3 p.m. on Friday. On Saturday, the Chips will play the final two games with the doubleheader starting at 1 p.m.to finish off the weekend.